Thursday, February 4

Bittersweet News

It seemed like every time I thought I was going to get all of the work done for the big software release at work, something would come along to derail me. I'd have to readjust and prioritize and figure out how I was going to get it all done.

Well, the release was on Saturday, January 30. Since I would be out of town Sunday the 24th through Sunday the 31st, my last day to finish up all of my projects was Friday the 22nd. I worked through Martin Luther King Day, came in early, and left as late as I could considering I had to be at Kiss Me Kate rehearsal by 7pm most nights. And my efforts were going to pay off; I was going to get it all done.

And then, Wednesday the 20th, my projects were derailed once again. Indefinitely.

I was laid off.

Gah! Talk about adding insult to injury! I'd been working on this stuff for a year, and I was laid off two days before completion. Bah! I want very much to be bitter -- I'm a Virgo! I like to finish things! -- but there's not much I can do. I did laugh a little when I heard that the project manager of one of my projects wrote my manager in a panic asking who's going to be working on my stuff now. We were understaffed as it was, and now my overworked former co-workers have to pick up my projects, too. I would be worried about them if I weren't trying so hard not to think about it. I am so frustrated I didn't get to do it myself! It seems like poor appreciation for my 2 1/2 years of dedicated service.

I knew it was likely -- the company hasn't been making any sales, of late, so money has been tight -- but I never imagined it would happen before the release. As such, I was unprepared. I was planning to finish up my work and then after the release start updating my resume and looking for other possibilities. So, the timing was inconvenient, to say the least.

I liked my job. The work was challenging and I was good at it. I had some good friends there. The company wasn't perfect, but no company is. I would have stayed until the bitter end if they had let me. I will miss it.

Anyway. I spent Thursday, Friday, and Saturday getting ready for the trip, determined not to let myself freak out about my not having a job until I returned. Now that I'm back, I'm working on my resume and looking into some leads. I am mostly optimistic. I'm worried about finances, of course, but I've had some resources show up recently that should help. Plus, I'm eligible for unemployment. This is not to say I don't wake up in the morning stressed out about my mortgage. But, as long as the search doesn't take too long, I'll be okay. (Knock on wood!)

Meanwhile, I am very grateful that I'm doing Kiss Me Kate. I auditioned for the show on a whim, but it has become a huge blessing for me. Not only do I love performing the choreography, singing the harmonies, and playing with my character, but the cast has been really supportive. It's been wonderful having at least one thing to count on during the day, since I am no longer required to get up early and/or shower. I don't know what I'd do without something scheduled during the day (did I mention that Virgos like organization and structure? Well, I know I do). I cannot believe the play opens next week! Crazy!

So, I'm yet another casualty of the recession. And it sucks. There are pluses and minuses, and I'm trying to look on the bright side. I would be very grateful if you would keep me in your prayers while I'm looking for a new job. If you learn about an available job that you think I would enjoy or be good at, please let me know. My last job was in technical writing. However, I am open to trying different careers and would even consider moving if the enticement were great enough.

I love you all and appreciate your support and kindness. I know that Heavenly Father is mindful of me and that I will be all right in the long run.

5 comments:

FamilyLife said...

I am sorry to hear about this! It is super hard to deal with, even when you know the reason has nothing to do with you. Feel free to vent your feelings!

Elisha said...

I'm sorry to hear this. Bryant lost his job four days after Christmas, so I know the freaking out and the stress. We will keep you in our prayers.

Erica said...

Oh, Megan. I know exactly how you feel. We spent most of 2008 with no work. I've never been so stressed in my life and yet there were blessings to compensate. We went from week to week wondering how in the world we were going to by food, let alone how to pay the morgage. The Lord was watching out for us though because every month we'd say, "Well, we can make it through this one but there is no way we have the money to get through next month." and every time, something would happen where we were okay. I'll for sure be praying for you.

By the way...I'll be there on Wednesday! I know you won't be able to come out and see me, but I'll be there anyway!

Hatt family said...

Hmmm...the job market's not the best in Grants Pass, OR...if only...that would be fun to see you more (than just your picture on your blog :))! Of course, your family would miss you tons!

Hatt family said...

Perfect time for a cruise! Soak up lots of sun for me!