Wednesday, May 11

A cupcake story

Monday, on the last morning of our epically awesome vacation to New York City, my friends and I decided to stop into a bakery called Crumbs. Larissa had been talking about it the entire trip, but for some reason, I didn't remember until after we'd made our purchases that she'd been saying her sister said they were awful... whoops!

Well, I bought a chocolate cupcake with peanut butter cream cheese frosting for me, and a carrot cake cupcake for my mom. Don't they look amazing?!! For $7.50 total, they'd better be!
Those things were HUGE! About twice the size of a normal cupcake, and with twice as much frosting. I had tried a cupcake from Magnolia bakery that morning, and it was much better than I'd expected, even being a day old (mmm, cupcakes for breakfast!) I'm used to the good ole box-batter variety, but this was in a class by itself!
I bet you're super-jealous of my cupcakes. Can you even imagine how good they were? Haha! You have no choice but to just imagine.

And so do I. Because I dropped those Crumbs cupcakes.

On the floor.

Of the bathroom.

At the JFK airport.

Frosting. Side. Down.

All I know is they were perched fairly safely between the straps of my purse inside their protective plastic box, and I didn't even notice I hit it with the stall door until I heard a plastic sort of THUD, turned around, and saw the frosting kissing the wet floor.

I didn't even consider still eating them.

The peanut butter cupcake was just a wee bit smooshed, but when I picked up the carrot cake ALL of the frosting remained on the floor. It was so depressing! I threw them both away, of course. At least they didn't fall in the toilet - that would have been more difficult to clean up. Ewwwwwwwwwww!

I didn't take a photo. I didn't think of it in time and there were too many people in line.

I walked back to our terminal and said to Larissa, "Guess who just dropped her cupcakes on the ground?" I was trying really hard to be jovial about it, but the fact was I thought it was a rotten way to end the trip. Just felt like bad karma (karma and I aren't the best of friends) and I was sad that I had no thank you gift for my mom for driving me to and from the airport.

I had to laugh, though, when Larissa said what I'd been thinking: "I'm sorry, but if this was going to happen to someone, it would be you!" It's so true! I'm the girl who falls in the fire at Girls' Camp, gets hit in the face with a softball during the company game, and is afraid will fall into my own cake at my wedding! Blergh. No one can tell me I'm not clumsy!

Keri had bought the peanut butter chocolate cupcake, too, and let me try some of the frosting. It was pretty good! She offered to let me have more, but my heart wasn't in it. I hope she liked it, though :-)

Maybe it's just as well I didn't get them all the way home. I don't really need the calories.

And I must admit, it makes for a pretty decent story!

6 comments:

Larissa said...

You only paid $7.50 for this story, Megs! That is a STEAL! You can tell this one FOREVER!

Miss Megan said...

That's true! Hooray for inexpensive entertainment!

Rach said...

Watch this video!!! This SOOO reminded me of this episode of Friends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P9A0UczaME

Miss Megan said...

Ahahahahaha! You're right, Rach! The two stories sure do have a lot in common! (My favorite is that Joey has a fork in his pocket -- I should do that.)

miss kristen said...

Sad. They looked good too. Now we'll just have to make a trip to one of the local cupcakeries to make up for it...

Miss Megan said...

Oh, Kristen! We definitely need to make a cupcake trip! Have you ever been to the Chocolate or Nothing Bundt Cakes (okay, those are bundt cakes, but they're excellent)?