Friday, July 2

Go, go, go, Megan!

Have I mentioned yet that I'm in rehearsals for another show? No? Oh.

I'm in rehearsals for another show!

I'll be doing Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat for the new Cottonwood Heights Arts Council. We perform in August. I am in the ensemble which you may think would mean that I don't have a ton of rehearsals. Haha -- you think wrongly. The ensemble in Joseph is in almost every scene and each person plays a multitude of different roles. It is a lot of work. Am I a little masochistic for doing this even though I am exhausted from Seven Brides which just closed Monday night? Sure. But considering the cast and crew involved, and music that I have wanted to perform for a good 15 years I just couldn't pass up this opportunity. It's going to be a great show!

Anyhoo, I volunteered to post on the Cottonwood Joseph blog, and here is a link to my first post. I'll keep pointing you to links whenever I post something new over there.

Still to come: memories and anecdotes from Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. I miss it terribly!

[For convenience' sake, and because I'm afraid the Cottonwood Joseph blog will suddenly disappear one day, here is the post in full:]

A great show starts with a great production team, and I will admit that Joseph's production team is the main reason I wanted to do this show. The producer, director, musical director, choreographer, childrens' director, and piano accompanist are six of the most positive, talented, patient, energetic people I have ever worked with! Their excitement for this show is infectious and I find myself doing everything I can to meet and then exceed their expectations.

At my second rehearsal (which was the fifth rehearsal for everyone else), when I felt like I was failing miserably and I was tired and frustrated and I just wanted to lie down on the floor and give up, our director told the cast to close our eyes and repeat the following:

"I'm awesome."
"This is the best cast ever. EVER!"
"My director loves me!"


Then we went back to work. And I started to do better.

Our director also remembers everyone's name. And if she forgets a name, the forgotten person gets to call her Harriet. Did I mention there are 62 people in the cast and we have only been rehearsing for two weeks? Everyone is included and anyone feels needed. It is insanely cool.

Yesterday, she was thrilled to read us a fortune cookie fortune she'd opened at dinner:
"'Soon, someone will make you proud.' It's written down!"


Imagine getting this kind of encouragement from six different people at rehearsal every day. Imagine getting this kind of encouragement everywhere you go -- at work, school, church, dance recitals, and basketball games. Everyone would feel good about themselves, and you'd want to do your best and be there all the time, wouldn't you? I know I do and would!

Can't believe we just barely started. I can't wait to find out what happens next!

No comments: