Wednesday, July 17

Happy Birthday, Disneyland!

58 years ago today, Disneyland park opened in Anaheim, California.
(I haven't had a chance to watch this yet. Hopefully tonight!

My dad grew up in California in the fifties, and I think Disneyland is a special place for him. He's worn a Mickey Mouse watch for as long as I can remember.

There are photos of me at the park from when I was younger than two years old.

I have several elementary-school memories of my parents picking me up after school on Friday, driving to Disneyland until late into the night, playing all day Saturday, and driving home on Sunday.

Baby Megan on Tom Sawyer Island
I even remember what my mom wore during one of these trips, because she said, "Now, if you get lost, find a Disneyland employee and tell them I am wearing red jeans and a white shirt." (I mentioned this to Mom last week, and she has no memory of every owning red jeans.) I still remember the year the original Star Tours opened, and we actually had to wait in the freakishly long -- and awesomely detailed -- line for two hours. That year, Dad took my two youngest brothers to the hotel for naps in the afternoon, and Mom told Aaron, Adam and I we would ride each of our favorite rides. I don't remember what Aaron chose, but Adam picked Star Tours, and I chose Thunder Mountain Railroad. 

Spring Break Senior Year
Thanks to high school show choir, I got to perform on one of the stages in the park -- the one that used to be across the street from Sleeping Beauty castle. There is nothing like singing and rocking out to "Footloose" while the sun shines on that gorgeous castle! I also broke up with my first boyfriend on one of those trips. (Luckily, it was mutual and amicable.)

I'd wanted to go to Disneyland before going on my mission, but ran out of time. The day I returned home, my family announced plans to go over Thanksgiving. It was the first time I'd seen Disneyland dressed up for the holidays, like the Nightmare Before Christmas-themed Haunted Mansion. Since then, I've only been twice when it wasn't in November or December!

Aaron and I went together the next year, and that's when we discovered Fast Passes :D

The family went again for the holiday several years later. It was the first time my nephew had been, and it was awesome to see it all through a child's eyes.

When I got my latest job, I celebrated by taking a two-day trip to the park... all by myself. Turns out, Disneyland is still fun even if you're alone. I got to ride all the rides I wanted to -- most of them twice -- and ate all the churros I wanted. Single-rider tickets rock!

I don't know how many times I have been in my lifetime, but I haven't yet tired of the place.

The G-child's first visit
I have only been to Disneyland twice in the last four years... but I must talk about it a lot, because my friends and family seem to think I don't vacation anywhere else. I guess I can't blame them, because my next big vacation is to Disneyland! It'll be my nieces' first trip, and I can't wait to play with them there. We already have tickets to eat breakfast with the princesses. Woooooot! I can't wait!

There are many people who have never been to Disneyland, or have been and don't quite appreciate the appeal, and that's okay. To me, however, Disneyland really is a magical place. There is always something new for me to experience (I didn't experience the Tiki Room for the first time until about three years ago), and it's always a lot of fun.

Walt Disney summed it up the best during his dedication speech:
How could he have known how great it would be? That's faith. Good thing it worked out :-D

Happy Birthday, Disneyland! You are the first and the best of the parks, and I am grateful for the part you've played in my life. See you again, soon!
New Year's Eve 2012 dance party at It's a Small World

1 comment:

Aaron said...

This just amped me up for the family trip! Can't wait!