Friday, July 4

Happy Independence Day!

I love the 4th of July. I love the fireworks, the heat, the parades (which I don't often watch because it would involve my getting up early), the Ward and Stake breakfasts (see my note on parades), and especially the time spent with family. My grandmother was born July 4th, and now that she's living in the Salt Lake valley it's so fun getting to spend at least part of the day with her. In fact, I'm off to her house to swim in her pool and eat pizza once my parents are ready. Makes for a good day.

Earlier this year there was a mini-series about John Adams on HBO starring Paul Giamatti and Laura Linney. I watched it with my dad and we both loved it! I'm a fan of the musical 1776 too. Yes, I know that both of those artistic productions take liberties with historical facts, but it's still fascinating to remember that the people who fought for the United States' freedom were real people. They undertook what no one had before: to overthrow their government and start a brand new one from scratch. It's amazing! I'm about 100 pages into David McCullough's book John Adams and it's fascinating (in spite of there being no dialogue). It really humanizes the men and women involved in starting this new government. I mean, those people worked so hard; they had the skills and training and education necessary -- it all happened at the right time and place, and we as citizens of the United States now are very lucky to benefit from their work.



My respect and gratitude for our founding fathers continues to grow as I learn more about them. I'm excited to finish reading John Adams. I would really like to read about General George Washington next....

I was lucky to get to visit my brother Aaron over Memorial Day weekend. He is living and working in Washington D.C. and was a terrific tour guide. We saw a couple of museums, and monuments, and explored Mount Vernon and Monticello.

Monticello (Thomas Jefferson's estate)


The Washington Memorial with my mom


Aaron and me in front of the Lincoln Memorial


Mom and me at the Jefferson Memorial


Aaron and me at the Franklin D Roosevelt Memorial (not really a founding father, but still a visionary person)


Aaron, Mom, me, and Dad at Mount Vernon (George Washington's home)


Happy Independence Day, friends!

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

What great pictures! Happy Independance Day to you, too!

Rach said...

I've been thinking about reading that John Adams book. Maybe I'll go put it on my good reads list right now. Thanks for the recommendation!

Erica said...

I've been wanting to read those too. Add them to my ever growing list of things I want to read. Did I actually ever have a time when I used to stare at my bookshelf and wonder what to read next???

SO jealous about your trip back east! I LOVE that area! I was fairly young when I was last there and I'd totally love to go again! I've been the places you have pictures of though!!!!! Well, maybe not the Roosevelt Memorial. I don't remember that one....