
The Hilton in Las Vegas is shutting down the Star Trek venues in the hotel on September 1 (Labor Day) this year and I never got around to going. I am quite bummed about this, since I was a huge Trekker as a teenager, and still harbor a fondness for multiple incarnations of the show even now.
It would have been so cool to order a virgin Romulan ale or Klingon Fire wine at Quark's bar. I followed Deep Space Nine from the first to last episode and it is by far my favorite. I love that the characters didn't all get along at first, and that so many of them were misfits -- either outright or in their own minds. The show just got better when they added Worf and his crazy prejudices. Plus, it explored a lot of spiritual questions. Maybe not every episode was a gem, but so many made me think and question the world I live in and how I choose to treat other people. The show is a part of who I am. (I'm a nerd, but I like myself this way.)
So now I wonder, if I had made the effort to visit this attraction, would I have met characters from the show? Would Morn have chattered my ear off while sitting at the bar? Would I have met the Klingon of my dreams? I had 10 years to find out and squandered them with school and work. Well, I guess that was worthwhile, too...
Oh, and in case you're wondering, the Rules of Acquisition are a set of guidelines that the money-loving Ferengi created to govern their business practices. ROA #109 is "Dignity and an empty sack is worth a sack." Truly words to live by.
4 comments:
That's too bad that you haven't had the chance to live that dream. Do you have time for a road trip there?
I am thinking about it pretty seriously. Drive up one Friday and just play Saturday and drive back on Sunday...
Next weekend could work. Hmm.
I have been twice and had fun both times. We went because Hutch is a Trek fan. I think you should make the trip. You can see everything in an hour or two.
Let's go!! We could get a seriously cheap flight, hotel, and car rental. I know I did it a few weeks ago for work... Come on...
Post a Comment