Sunday, September 7

Thirty, Flirty, and Thriving


Today is my birthday!

I'm 30? Whoa! That's crazy! My life is not what I imagined at 16 that it would be, and while I could complain, I'd rather list 30 adventures and accomplishments that I have been privileged to experience:


1. I learned to walk, talk, read and write.

2. I have completed the run of 43 community and school plays in addition to many roadshows and one-acts for acting classes.

3. I earned all of the Young Women medallions.

4. I took ballroom dancing in 5th grade, and had a blast during the recital, during which Adrian Dayton and I jived to the Happy Days theme.

5. I graduated from Brigham Young University with a Bachelors of Arts degree in English.


6. I appeared as a stand-in and extra on Promised Land, and a featured extra on Touched By an Angel.

7. Travels within the U.S: Miami, Florida; Spokane and Coeur d'Alene (multiple times), Washington; San Francisco, San Diego and Los Angeles, California (multiple times); Yellowstone National Park (at least three times); Billings, Montana (too many times to count); Disneyworld, Florida; Disneyland, California (at least six times); New York City (at least 5 times) and Palmyra, New York; Washington D.C. (twice); Hershey and Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; Williamsburg, Virginia; the islands of Kauai and Oahu, Hawaii; Lake Powell many times; Phoenix, Mesa, Prescott Valley, Williams, Winslow, Flagstaff, and the Grand Canyon in Arizona (technically, I lived at these places in Arizona); Idaho Falls and Pocatello, Idaho; Cedar City and Saint George, UT; Bryce Canyon and Arches National Park in Utah; Las Vegas, Nevada.

8. I got an "A" in my beginning tap dance class at the Y and used those skills in 42nd Street the next year.

9. I served a full-time mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Phoenix Arizona Mission.

10. I have read the Book of Mormon at least 7 times (probably more, but I don't really keep count).

11. I graduated from Cottonwood High School.

12. I learned to sew, and made several pillowcases in Junior High.

13. I have read all of the Harry Potter books at least four times...

14. and the Lord of the Rings three times.

15. I have been good and kissed at least once.

16. I have been a Technical Writer for the last year.

17. Temples I have patronized: Salt Lake, St. George, Provo, Mesa Arizona, Jordan River, New York City, Billings Montana, Manti.

18. Other temples I've visited but not been inside: Idaho Falls, San Diego.

19. I've met an insane number of wonderful people, many of whom I'm still privileged to call my friends.

20. I performed nearly every type of job available at DDN at one time or another during my 3 1/2 years there.

21. I have seen paintings by Monet, Picasso, Van Gogh, and da Vinci, and sculptures by Michaelangelo in person.

22. While in high school, I taught a session of dance classes for what was known at that time as City Rep Theatre.

23. I earned and have kept my driver's license.



24. Accents I mastered for one show or another (they were good during the runs at least): Cockney (Oliver!, My Fair Lady, the Secret Garden, Toad! The Wind in the Willows), French (the Phantom of the Opera, The Three Musketeers), Southern (Tom Sawyer, Inherit the Wind, The Haunted Mansion), German (Kindertransport), high British (Scrooge, A Christmas Carol), and Scottish (Brigadoon twice).

25. Travels outside the U.S: Paris (twice), the Loire Valley, and Normandy in France; London, Bath, and the Cotswolds in England; Cardiff, Wales; Cozumel, Mexico; San Juan, Puerto Rico; St. Johns, St. Maartens, and St. Thomas.

26. Behind the scenes work: Costume Assistant in the Masque of the Beauty and the Beast, Stage Crew for Crimes of the Heart, Sound Technician for the Princess and the Pea, Assistant Director for Wait Until Dark.

27. I learned how to french braid my own hair and other people's hair (though I cannot do both at the same time).

28. I bought a condo and had a sizeable amount of money saved for the down payment.

29. I was the 5A Regional Best Actress in a One-Act my junior year of High School. The play scored first place at Region.

30. I have played four of my dream roles: Hero in Much Ado About Nothing, Ado Annie in Oklahoma, Amy March in Little Women, and Kim MacAfee in Bye Bye Birdie.

I cannot imagine a different past -- it's been pretty terrific! I like who I am and I'm proud of what I've done. I am grateful for the people around me and the opportunities I have had so far. Thank you to everyone that has helped to make me who I am, and for the endless supply of fun! I'm excited to discover what will happen next!

Hooray for 30!

12 comments:

Mandee Lue said...

Yay for MEGAN!!! I can't imagine how life would be without you around! Look at all the good you've done, and all the fun you've had, and ALL the lives you've blessed!!! My dear Megan! Happy Birthday, you thirty-flirty thriver!! (loved the show, too!) I love you!!

Amy Maida Wadsworth said...

How fun it was to read this blog! You are such a fabulous person! I just adore you! You've led a wonderful life and accomplished much! May God bless you and grant you all of your righteous desires in the many years to come! I love you!

Aaron said...

Since it's your birthday, I guess it's okay to say it: of all my siblings, you're my favorite sister :) Love you so much and I'm so proud of all you have done and all you've become!

Patti said...

You are an amazing woman! I love your guts! Have a happy birthday!

Stephanie said...

Happy Birthday, Megan! I feel so privileged to be among your friends! You are a true gem, and someone I've grown to love and admire for more reasons than there is room to write.

May your year be filled with wonderful things, joy, happiness, love, peace, prosperity, and kindness!

Unknown said...

Happy birthday beautiful!!

Steph said...

Hoppy Birssday to hugh, hoppy birssday to hugh, hoppy birssday to hugh, hoppy birsday to hugh!

Erica said...

Happy Birthday, Megan!!!!! That was so fun getting to know you a little better! :^)

Miss Megan said...

Thank you everyone! I had fun sharing the list with you, and am so grateful to all of you who cared enough to read it. I am truly blessed to love each of you!

Sarahbina said...

Happy Birthday Megan! I am sorry I couldn't comment yesterday, I ahd ballet right after school, and Rehersal right after that, but You ARE FREAKING ADORABLE! I love your awesomeness, and coolioness (sorry i am back to school mode)

Steph said...

HEY!!! I came here expecting a fun new post with excited new pictures will you stop slacking and playing Birthday Week so I can selfishly be satisfied??? LOL. Just kidding I love that I have seen you 2 out of 5 of your birthday week days!!

Preds Girl said...

Hi! I am friends with Kate and Emily...my name is Lindsay. I found your blog through Emily's blog.

I just wanted to comment on this post because I LOVE how you focused on the positive things in your life instead of dwelling on still being single. I am 31 and single as well, and I totally understand how difficult it is to focus on those positive things...because like you said...at 16 you never thought you'd be here...but you are thankful for your experiences. :-)

Thanks!!