Wednesday, I had a conference call with people from California, China, Australia, and Sandy, UT. We were able to talk on the phone and all link onto a website so that we could watch the demonstration of a feature in real time (a.k.a. we could all watch as the demo was happening). It was 5pm in CA, 6pm in UT, 8am in China, and probably about 8 or 9am in Australia.
How cool is that?!
Truly, we live in amazing times. Even 30 years ago we could not have communicated so quickly with people so far away. Now, I work with them every day. Instead of snail mail and paper documents, we have internet and e-mail. My job would have been vastly different 20 years ago, and software engineers were not in nearly so great a supply. Imagine how much things will change in the next 20 -- will I dictate all of my writing to a computer that recognizes my voice? Will conference calls be holographs projected into my office, or even cooler, will I be able to jump from UT to Australia in 5 minutes, as though driving to the supermarket? (Don't even get me started on what may change in modern shopping.)
Technology is amazing, and am taking part in bringing it to the masses... in my own little way. It's fun!
1 comment:
I definitely know I take modern conveniences for granted!
Post a Comment