Saturday, March 20

It's a SECRET garden

I opened The Secret Garden tonight. "Already?" you say. "Didn't you just audition for that a few weeks ago?" Why, yes! And yes! Our cast has busted our fannies for the last two and-a-half weeks, and I am proud of our product. Opening night felt really good (I say, knowing full well I'm only onstage for about 8 minutes in the 100 minute show). The cast is really strong all around, but the main reason it worked was because of these kids:

Our leads are tremendous! I can't tell you how impressed I am by them. I was not nearly this focused or talented as a teenager. They have been friends forever and you can tell when they perform together. They are so fun to watch. And they're nice people, too. I love laughing with them backstage! We are really lucky to have them.


Above: My stage husband, Ricky (I got the shot before he could block the camera with his hand -- bwahahahaha!) It's our third show together, and he always makes me laugh. We are pretty goony. We have our work cut out for us, him playing a miserable shell of a man, and me playing a serene, elegant lady. Very, very different from our characters in Little Women two years ago, when he played Mr. Brooke (Meg's husband) and I was erratic Amy :D

Below: I play Colin's (the boy in the wheelchair above) dead mother. Colin has a painting of me in his room, and this is kind of what I think Colin's painting of me looks like. The photo isn't the greatest, but I love this whole look on me! I don't want to go back and live during the Victorian era at all, but it's fun to get dolled up in something sooo not contemporary. The dress is amazing, and I am thrilled that Mom let me borrow her long gloves! I'm even proud of the hairpiece I made up to get that "Gibson girl" style -- the product of major fatigue, a trip to Wal-Mart, and unexpected inspiration. It works perfectly! I feel so pretty!

Below: Scenes from the show. We've repainted the stage, but I kind of like the bright colors! ("It's a secret oasis!") I took these during our quasi-dress-tech-all day rehearsal last Saturday. We had a devil of a time working out some of the technical issues -- there are a lot of props and costume changes and scene changes that took forever to work out just right, but we managed to get them worked out without yelling at each other too much. Now that we know more or less what we're doing, we can just to relax and enjoy the run!



So, the show is open, which means that I can just enjoy performing, and I might start getting some good sleep again (Maybe not, since I just can't seem to get myself to go to bed early). Hooray! We have had favorable words from audience members so far, for which I am grateful. I love the compliments I've had on my very small part, and I love seeing the way the rest of our cast has grown together and individually.

I'm glad I am a part of this show! I hope a lot of people come see it! We were surprised to find that even 4 and 5 year olds are understanding and enjoying it. It's a pretty adult show -- a lot of talking and story-telling and not much spectacle to hide behind or keep the little ones entertained. Wonderfully, they are being entertained by our simple acting. It's refreshing. There is hope for future generations of audiences! Come and see, and then tell your friends to come, too!

1 comment:

Hatt family said...

Oh, looks like fun! It really is amazing how much kids are capable of grasping! I forget when I go to see a performance how much behind the scenes work took/ takes place! What a very elegant lady you are indeed! You look beautiful as a woman of the Victorian era as well as a contemporary one!