Wednesday, August 11

Singlutionary

The other day, I was reading random blogs linked to other blogs on my blog list, and I came across Singlutionary, a blog dedicated to not apologizing for being single. I've only read a few posts, but I love it! I love hearing positive stories! I love that there are people out there who don't necessarily expect or are looking to get married right away. I love that I feel less frantic when I read about that. There are still good single people in the world! There is no conspiracy from married people to "make" single people feel badly about themselves. We are all just living our lives the best we can and hoping to make a difference and connect with the right person and the right time if it is truly meant to be (and if we allow it to happen).

It just so happened that the first post I read was The Introverted Singlutionary. If I hadn't been at work at the time, I would have cheered. This is me, from people thinking I'm a snob, to needing time alone to recharge, to feeling guilty when saying "No." Love it, love it, love it. Please read if you'd like to understand me better. Heaven knows I understand me better now.

Tonight is my first night off in a long time. No rehearsal, no performance, no date, no Girl's Night Out, and no family obligations. My best friend asked yesterday what I'm going to do with today and I said "Catch up on my DVR." You have no idea how relieved I was when she said, "I love doing that!" I knew she knows how much I needed a day off, but I was still a little afraid she'd ask to tag along or go somewhere. I'm a people-pleaser. I loathe saying no, especially to people I like and don't get to see often. Thanks The Singlutionary for putting my thoughts into such well-considered, honest, straightforward words! And thanks Best Friend for understanding that I still love you even if we don't hang out tonight! It's so nice I'm not the only one who needs to be alone sometimes. Makes me feel a lot less guilty.

Even alone, I have plenty to do tonight: shop for groceries, actually cook dinner, return some dresses I bought but didn't wear at the wedding, pay my bills, sort through paperwork, finally vacuum, maybe scrapbook, and catch up on my DVR a bit. I am sooo looking forward to it!

1 comment:

The Singlutionary said...

Thank you for posting about my blog! I think, that as a society, we used to have more alone time and it was more acceptable to just be quiet. Today a friend texted me that she was at work all by herself. She concluded "I missed ME".

Yay for taking the time to honor yourself and be alone when you need it!