Just go with me on this:
1. It's a shame they wanted to hate a show they paid so much to see.
vs
'Tis a shame they wanted to hate a show they paid so much to see.
vs
I don't know if I can handle what it is now... 'tis too overwhelming.
vs
'Tis nice when these things work out!
(I don't like "'tis" in that one.)
vs
I don't care if it's an old-fashioned idea -- 'tis the dream.
I don't care if it's an old-fashioned idea -- 'tis the dream.
(See what I did there? Using "'tis" to replace the first "it's" would have been a bit much. Also, I don't think that's the way "'tis" is supposed to be used... I'm not much of a grammar nazi unless in formal situations -- punctuation, yes, but not grammar -- but I think that would be wrong.)
What do you think? Does it sound pretentious? Should I give it a shot in the next few posts and see how it goes?
If "'tis" is well-received (now that I've mentioned it I can't expect it'll be unnoticed), I might try using it in my verbal communication.
Nah. That would be pretentious!
1 comment:
I use 'tis interchangeably in my speech all the time. I don't think I've done it too much in my writing though. 'Tis about time I start acting on this...
Post a Comment