Friday, January 11

The spare room bed

Have you seen my spare room bed?!!
I know, I know: I need a little girl to give this bed to someday!
Contrary to everyone's first thought, this was not the bed I slept in during childhood; I had an awesome canopy bed, like every princessy girl from the '80s should have. My mother whipped up this bedboard for me about 10 years ago, just for fun. My brother David drew the figures, and Mom painted them and added the finishing touches. I am in awe of their skill. Mom has made many of these types of art projects over the years. She puts a lot of thought into personalizing them for the recipient (or herself, as the case may be), and they are always gorgeous. I am seriously in awe of my mom most of the time.

I have lived in my condo for nearly four and-a-half years. During that time, for one reason or another, several of my girl friends have slept over. Every time, I have offered the use of the spare room bed, and every time, the girl friend has politely declined, preferring to sleep in my comfortable, over-stuffed couch.

Until last night!

Salt Lake City is in the midst of quite the snowstorm. It started about 3 o'clock yesterday, and is supposed to continue through tomorrow, at least. It's snowing right now, in fact. Someone even decided to name it Gandalf -- haha!
Hooray for an HOA that takes care of snow removal for me!
My cute friend Liz works in West Jordan and lives in Ogden, and instead of forcing her to fight the storm (resulting in an at LEAST 3 hour drive), I invited her to stay with me. I loved having her over, making sure she had everything she needed and talking until after 1 a.m. I don't host very often, but it was fun!

And the best part was her shutting the spare room door and tucking into that little bed (not that I watched her do it, creepy!). I suddenly missed having roommates and wished I had someone there all the time. It was nice getting to take care of someone, and feeling safe and comfortable together in the midst of the storm.

I love that little spare room, and the cute little bed. Something about it makes me happy and hopeful. I may sometimes feel lonely, but that bed seems to promise me that it won't always be that way, even if just for an evening. Such a lovely thought!

What little things in your house do you wish you got more use out of? What are the pieces that make your house feel like your house?

1 comment:

Aaron said...

haha That's good you finally had someone stay in the fancy spare bed. I still don't have all the furniture pieces that I should, but one thing I don't get as much use out of as I'd like is my golf pull-cart. Silly snow! :)