Friday, April 26

The Best of Both Worlds!

No, I am not talking about the Hannah Montana theme song :P (But now it's stuck in your head, isn't it?)

To generate buzz for the release of Star Trek: The Next Generation season 3 on Blue-ray, there was a special showing last night of arguably the best two Next Generation episodes: "The Best of Both Worlds parts 1 and 2". They aired the episode, a making-of feature, some bloopers from the season, and a teaser for season 4.

One of my friends asked later why Emily and I weren't wearing uniforms. I admit I'm not quite brave/fanatic enough to do that. I do own the communicator pin in the top right of the photo, but I couldn't bring myself to wear it (plus, one of the backs was missing -- blergh!) You will notice, however, that Emily is wearing blue and I am wearing red, which kind of hints as costuming ;-)

I AM nerdy enough that I wanted to facepalm upon hearing this particular conversation:
Teenager #1: So, what happens if Spock gets a lightsaber?
Teenager #2: He becomes a Jedi!

Picture my head exploding.

Okay, I am a big fan of both Star Wars and Star Trek, but, wow. I wanted to punch those punks in the neck.
  1. As awesome as Spock is, logic is NOT the same as the Force.
  2. One franchise takes place "a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, and the other is set in the future. Even if Star Trek has been known to visit other galaxies and even move through time a bit, there is no good reason for the two to overlap. You don't see me suggesting that someone write a fanfiction that combines The Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones, do you? They are not the same!!!! Seriously, no. Don't go there. 
  3. Picking up a lightsaber does not automatically make someone a Jedi. If it did, Han Solo would have busted out with the powers back on Hoth during The Empire Strikes Back. Were those kids paying any attention at all?
  4. It's an illustration of why Star Wars and Star Trek fans are looked on as "dorky" nerds and will therefore never fully be accepted by the "cool" kids. (Yes, I have Harry Potter conversations all the time. I realize this is a little hypocritical. I also know I shouldn't care about what other people think, and yet sometimes I do. I never said I was perfect.) 
Am I done geeking out now? Probably not. That conversation really riled me up!!!!

Anyway, in spite of that ignorance, and the lady with the seriously-cute-and-noisy baby next to me (that I asked to move into the hallway about 15 minutes in), I had a great time. It was such a fun event! I definitely want to go when they do it again for the next season. I'm glad that Emily was free to come with me -- it was awesome being there with someone who enjoys the show as much as I do!

Who wants to come with me next time?!!

1 comment:

Hatt family said...

Teenagers, sheesh. Glad Emily was there to share in the fun! Would love to go next time...if only, sigh. :)