My two latest... well, I wouldn't necessarily call them "obsessions" per se, but they are causing me endless delight nowadays are the culture in the 1940s (mostly the war era) and details about the British monarchy.
It's not hard to see why they'd be on my mind. I'm rehearsing a show set in the '40s right now, and I've been watching a lot of movies and documentaries to learn more about the culture and fashion and the war itself. I must say, it's fascinating! I watched the original Miracle on 34th Street this weekend and LOVED it! The more I learn about the war, the more I want to learn (and the more movies like Pearl Harbor bother me in their inaccuracy -- flying without flight suits? They would have passed out SO FAST!) I kind of feel like it was the last time the United States was actually united in any way. I think it's awesome that several of the current leaders in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints fought in the war. It was a time when people really had to be responsible; they worked hard to support the soldiers and keep things running at home. And the war itself was horrible -- fighting on two fronts in terrible conditions. I am so proud to state that I am the granddaughter of a WWII hero.
I learned today that England's Prince Philip fought in the Pacific, and Queen Elizabeth also supported the war effort. I've been watching a documentary series called The House of Windsor on KBYU and it's fascinating. At the moment, I'm watching the episode that discusses their wedding (in 1947 which combines my two "obsessions", natch). I guess I'm just another sappy girl who wishes she were a princess. I did a report on Queen Victoria in college and discovered that she was the first to invite the press into the palace to take photos. I have seen the movie The Queen multiple times (Helen Mirren is genius and totally deserved that Oscar), and I still remember that day in August when I returned to my dorm and found everyone gathered in the common room watching the news broadcast stating that Diana had died. I am thrilled about Prince William's engagement to Kate Middleton and if I don't stay up late to watch the wedding live in April, I'll probably DVR it to watch over and over -- I can't wait to see what her dress looks like (though, to be fair, I've been having a lot of fun looking at wedding dresses and web sites lately; I love pretty things).
We start dress rehearsals tomorrow (well, we started yesterday but I was sick so I couldn't go), and I'm packing up my make-up and looking for my hairnet. I can't wait to see everyone in their costumes! A character and consequently a show never feels complete without the costumes (always the finishing touch) so this will be fun! Every time I get dressed up I feel beautiful and princessy. I can't believe we open in three days. Scary!
Movies set in (or made in) the 40s that I have watched lately:
Band of Brothers
The Philadelphia Story
Miracle on 39th Street
Holiday Inn
A Walk in the Clouds
Adam's Rib
Pearl Harbor
A League of Their Own
White Christmas
Movies I haven't seen that I want to:
Woman of the Year
Casablanca (never seen it!)
Movies set in (or made in) the 40s that I have watched lately:
Band of Brothers
The Philadelphia Story
Miracle on 39th Street
Holiday Inn
A Walk in the Clouds
Adam's Rib
Pearl Harbor
A League of Their Own
White Christmas
Movies I haven't seen that I want to:
Woman of the Year
Casablanca (never seen it!)
1 comment:
Well, it's always fun to find something that "tickles your fancy"! :)Good luck with the dress rehersals! And what princess doesn't like pretty things?
Post a Comment