Last night, my mom was tending my nieces, so my brother Dave and I went over to help and keep her company. Since I've been tasked with their Disney education, I brought over a few of my DVDs in case they were interested in sitting still long enough for a movie.
It didn't take long for Zonks to pick out the "princess" movie, and I was delighted to see it was Sleeping Beauty! Since she was more excited about it than Breezy was for her choice, The Little Mermaid (I noticed a Dora and the Mermaid DVD nearby, so she might have had mermaids on the brain), we all watched Sleeping Beauty. (For the record, the other movies I took were Aladdin, Robin Hood, and Beauty and the Beast... but to Zonks, the cover for Sleeping Beauty looked the most princessy.)
I have to say, it was awesome being there for their first viewing. They were nervous about the good fairies' spells, and Malificent, and Malificent's minions, but on the whole they loved it! They even debated about whether Aurora's dress should be pink or blue -- to no one's surprise, Breezy was firmly in the "pink" camp.
Zonks was excited about the purple dragon on the cover, and when it appeared, I said, "Maybe that's what you can be for Halloween!" This promptly sparked a very excited little girl to declare she was going to be a princess, and have a princess party for her birthday (in a year), and wear pink and blue for her princess party.
Seriously adorable.
I had forgotten how much work it is to watch a movie with a 3 year old, not to mention two 3 year olds! They had questions about everything. Fortunately, between Dave, my mom and I, we could satisfy them. I'm still a little amazed they didn't move around more than they did. We really aren't sure where Breezy and Zonks learned about princesses, but it's hilarious how much they seem to know about them!
After the movie it was bedtime. Once they were tucked into my mom's bed, Mom, Dave and I decided to watch The Little Mermaid after all. I had fun pausing and slowing down certain sections -- the animation is so funny and clever. David wished for GIF of the dancing turtle in "Under the Sea" (at 2:09 in the video below). I think we could watch just those 3 seconds all day long:
If anyone wants to make a GIF of the turtle and point me to it, I'd be forever grateful!
(Note: Twenty years later, this song still makes me want to get up and dance.)
It was so fun to introduce my nieces to Sleeping Beauty. Maybe someday I'll wear my costume for them... then again, since they are convinced I am a "queen" and not a "princess", maybe I should just let the professionals at Disneyland handle that for me.... nah! If Zonks can be a princess for Halloween, so can I! Even if the costume will be 15 years old this year :)

2 comments:
This sounds like a great night. Maybe while I'm back in Utah, we can all watch 'Robin Hood' together, eh?
Great plan! Mom and I agree today that's a movie Gunner and the girls will probably love. I hope they do - it's one of my favorites!
Post a Comment