Even before Earnest closed, people started to ask me what I'm going to do next. I'm glad that I didn't go directly from one show to another, and I'd like a few more weeks break. Then again, when all that most people know about me is that I do theater and my last show just closed, what else is there to talk about but what I'm going to do next?
I admit, I would really, really like to do a musical this summer. I've done two straight plays in a row, flexed my acting muscles quite a bit, and now I want a frothy, dancey summer show. I'm nervous about the state of my voice after the whooping cough fiasco, but I love to sing so very much. Lucky me, there are several shows coming up that I'm interested in...
Which leads to my conundrum: What should I sing at auditions?
Nearly every announcement requests that actors sing a song "in the style of the show." For example, for The Scarlet Pimpernel, you might pick another song from a Frank Wildhorn musical (but somehow not the same song every other woman is likely to choose). Or, for Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, it would be smart to consider something from Annie Get Your Gun or Oklahoma.
If that's not stressful and vague enough already, I've heard you can get rejected for straying too far. When I auditioned for Hairspray last year, I thought "Not for the Life of Me" from Thoroughly Modern Millie would do the trick; it's light, it's peppy, it's belty, and the fact that I totally ROCK that song every time made it seem a good choice (this was important because I've been trying to get in good with that particular director for awhile). Well... I did NOT get a callback. I learned later that the director wanted a song from the 60s. Well.. why didn't he just SAY so?!! I don't read minds! Gah!
Then there's the fact that I'm looking at auditioning for three* very different shows: Little Women the Musical, 9 to 5 the Musical, and The Marvelous Wonderettes. Do I work really, really hard on one song that miraculously somehow covers all three? Or do I pick three different songs and hope my voice can cope with learning them all within just a few weeks/days of each other?
I know one thing: I really want to sing this for 9 to 5... for no other reason than it's pure fun:
(Thank you, Sassy, for bringing this song into my life!)
Theater people, what would you suggest? One song or multiple? Which songs?
What are your go-to songs**? Ones you know you show you off terrifically and use as a default when you can't think of anything else (or don't have time to find something else).
Non-theater people, what songs do you love?
All help is welcome!!
*Maybe four... I'm back-and-forth about auditioning for Into the Woods again... I love, love, love it, but I just did it last year and it might be too soon.
**Mine are "I Could Have Danced All Night", "Not for the Life of Me", and "I Cain't Say No."
5 comments:
Currently, my audition song has been "Show Off" from Drowsy Chaperone, but I know that it is getting a little over-done because a lot of places have performed that show. For Little Women, would something from Into The Woods work for a similar style? I know it's Sondheim vs. whomever, but the Baker's Wife's song after the Prince leaves her (what it is? Moment in the Woods maybe) might work for that one. I don't know the other two shows, but 9 to 5 the movie came out in the 70's, so maybe another Dolly Pardon song? She actually has written a lot of songs for other singers.
Good luck!
I love the two in the purple, not sure if I've heard, "Not for the Life of Me", and (because the boys were on a Father/son camp-out with Jason) we finally rented, "The Importance of Being Earnest" (with Reese Witherspoon)and loved it! (Makayla especially! Thought of you tons! :) I also like, a song from Brigadoon (at least it's in the Gene Kelly/Hollywood movie version), where Fiona sings something like, "waiting for my deary, and happy am I to hold my heart 'til he comes strolling by...", so many great songs to choose from, best of luck!!
I always find it intriguing when very experienced theater people need to "work on" audition pieces.
Haven't you been singing your WHOLE life? Is a lot of work on a song you've been singing for years really going to make it noticeably better?
I always just pick something I feel like singing. I've got tons of books and I just print out a song that feels good and go sing it.
I think you may be worrying too much about this. I don't think it is so much the song as the way you sing it - just sing something you know you rock. I don't know what happened about the Hairspray audition because none of the folks in my room sang a song from the 60s. Heck, one did Avenue Q - and I know for sure she got called back.
Nancy and Suzanne, I LOVE your song choices! I'm going to have to add them to my rotation :)
Larissa, you're right that I'm probably worrying too much. I just never want to be rejected because I sang the same song as 10 other girls (and they sang it better). You're also right, though, that actors should sing what they love, and I always make a point of doing that! My fingers are crossed we'll get to do another show together sooooon!
FYI from an accompanist who has played for many auditions: A lot of girls/women sing "I could have danced all night." A lot. I play it at least once in every set of auditions I play for. I wish I was exaggerating, but I'm really not. I love your two other choices, though. Break a leg! I hope you get a fabulous part in a fabulous show!
Post a Comment