And a few people have had the nerve to say this to me:
"I don't pay to see shows."
Wait, what?!
ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!!!!!?!
Now, I am the first to admit that I am always grateful for free tickets, and I am much more likely to attend a show when offered comps. I also understand that there are many valid reasons a person may not want to/be able to come to one of my shows:
- Can't afford it
- Too busy
- No interest in seeing that particular play
- Trying to avoid someone in the show
- Not close enough friends with anyone in the show
- Hates theater/musicals
I have used most of these excuses (obviously the last one doesn't apply to me). After all, I meet an average of 5-20 new friends during every play I do, and I can't possibly see every show every person is in -- even if I want to -- especially if a play is double-cast and I know people in both casts. I'm also at the point where I no longer stress out about seeing the plays that certain "friends" are in, when those same friends don't make any effort to come to mine. I like these people and would love to support them, but it's depressing to spend my money on them when they don't bother to reciprocate. It's not like every show I do costs $21 (though my current show does).
However, to say that they never pay to see a play sounds like the height of arrogance to me. Good for them being able to get in for free, but, seriously, there isn't a scenario where they would actually pay to see a show? Really?!?!
To me, there is a big difference between "I can't afford it" and "I don't pay to see shows, ever."
The worst part? ALL of the people who have used this excuse are HEAVILY INVOLVED IN THEATER. So many theaters and theater companies are struggling as it is, and here is a group of people who love and are involved in theater who are taking advantage of the system and not helping the companies who could really use the income. And yet, they are the first to invite me to see their latest project. Ugh!
What I want to know is: what makes them so much better than the rest of us? I go to plays because I love them and I love supporting my friends. Obviously, these people don't feel the same way. They are too entitled to make a little effort and show a little love. They expect that if the friend wants them to come badly enough, the friend will find a way to get them in for free. Yeah, no. I don't play that way. My comps are reserved for people I think would actually appreciate them.
What's your take on this particular excuse? What would you say if someone said this to you?
9 comments:
So, I totally agree with you - the 'i don't pay to see shows' is pretty lame when considering it comes from actors and especially when it relates to friends...
I offer one other viewpoint though and that is this: as an actor, I volunteer my time to local theatres. I am only being paid a small amount (or not at all) to cover the expense of fuel to and from rehearsals, my make-up (which I always have to cover, no matter how expensive), costume elements that the theatre cannot provide, control garments (corsets, etc.) for glamorous roles, tights (multiple pairs and they wear out quickly), dance shoes, fast food because I am not home to cook for myself because I am at rehearsals, and lost time from work calling in sick when I've been out super late at rehearsal the night before... not to mention cast gifts to the director (who is being paid, btw) and little mementos I purchase for the show - gifts to my castmates, tshirts, and hell, I'll even throw in the photo cds that are so popular.
When I did my taxes last year, I came up with a whopping $4,000 expense and that was for two shows only.
So. I can see how some people may evaluate that $4,000 as a donation to the theatre and make a policy that paying for tickets is just too much. After all, at any theatre worth their salt, making a donation of $4,000 would certainly get a free couple of season tickets...
That being said - as a lover of the arts, I do not mind paying for tickets. Also, as a friend, I would never use that as an excuse to not see a friend's show. And someone using that excuse as a reason not to see me would annoy me greatly.
*muah!*
I definitely agree that as an actor we should be better compensated for the shows we are in. Wish more theaters paid, but I decided long ago not to let that stop me if I wanted a show badly enough. I just hope that the audience appreciation is enough to cover my "emotional costs" since I know the actual costs will never be reimbursed.
It does irk me that I know I put in all that effort, and my friends can't be bothered to fork out a lousy $5 bucks (the cost of many shows I've been in previously).
If those people lived outside of Utah for a little while, they're realize the great blessing it is to live in this state with so many opportunities to see theater. Maybe then they'd appreciate it enough to be willing to drop some coin on a few shows.
Wow! I love your point about how we all need to support this beautiful industry that is pretty much always struggling to stay afloat. In fact, sometimes, I insist on paying at theaters where my involvement might possibly get me an extra comp. If everyone pays, everyone gets to play.
Back in college, when I was studying poetry, my professors encouraged their students to buy poetry. The lesson I took from that admonition was that, if you love an art form, you spend money on it. Anything less than that is hypocrisy.
Aaron, Andrea, and Stephen: Yes! Thank you! I'm so glad I'm not the only one who feels this way.
Wow. The nerve of some people. I would have smacked them. Hard. I, like you, have no problem paying to see my friend's shows, but I do appreciate an occasional comp (especially because if they're anything like me I don't give those out to just anyone).
Unless these people are giving YOU their comp tickets to come support them they are just being hypocritical.
The theatre community here is so beautiful and TOO many really great cities struggle simply because no one will support them Case in point: the Empress. I've been a part of a few REALLY great shows there-hello, Blithe Spirit, Spitfire Grill!! But no one came because they weren't promoted well or deemed too far to travel to.
I'll admit I have skipped on shows because the price was a little too hefty for my budget at the time, but I have NEVER felt entitled to see a friend's show for free just because I know them. People who expect free tickets from me don't get them--after I smack them, of course. :)
I laughed at your "avoiding someone in the play" excuse. That's great! It gave me a mental picture of someone in the front row being accosted by the lead.
My excuse is typically I can't afford a babysitter *or* tickets to a play. I do make it a point to see all the plays of my favorite actress, Candice. But I usually go alone so there's no need for a sitter.
If someone said to me they don't pay for tickets I'd ask if they ever sneak in. I'm a sucker for a good story like that.
Haha, Jes! I am totally asking them that next time!
Post a Comment