Tuesday, October 8

Mini-rants

Note: These are not directed to anyone specific. I'm just venting.
  • Don't try to talk me into doing something I've already said I don't want to. I know what I'm comfortable with and I can be pretty stubborn. I have been known to change my mind on occasion, but it takes me a while to learn about, consider, and warm to ideas I might be initially opposed to. Then again, I may NEVER be interested (I'm not jumping out of a plane, sorry!) and you're going to have to deal. Leave me be, and don't make me feel like I must be dumb for not wanting to do it just because you happen to think it's a great idea. Just drop it. 
  • Don't preach tolerance and love for all in one breath, and then bash my personal beliefs in the next. I'm not perfect, but at least I can acknowledge when I'm being a hypocrite. Sometimes keeping your mouth shut is a virtue. Give it a try, especially when you know it's probably going to offend a lot of your friends.
  • If I complain about something, don't say, "Yeah, well at least you don't have to deal with [insert your current problem here]."
    Just because my problem may seem small compared to yours doesn't mean it isn't valid or any less stressful to me. I'm already having a bad day -- don't make it about you so that I then feel guilty and concerned for you on top of it (unless it's something awful, like someone died or you lost your job; I love you and would want to know in spite of the unfortunate timing). Feeling like a bad friend will always ruin my day.
  • If I say something like, "I want to lose 5-10 pounds" don't immediately dismiss me and say "you don't need to lose weight." EVERYONE I know wants to lose a few -- or a lot of -- pounds, so don't make me feel like I'm unreasonable for wanting to be my best. I'm very aware of my actual size; I'm not going to go overboard. I try not to say this very often 'cause I know how obnoxious and uncomfortable it is to be around someone who obsesses about his or her weight all the time. Meanwhile, a little bit of support goes a long way.
  • Even worse, if I say I HAVE lost weight, don't boldly look me up and down and then ask, "From where?" I know you're trying to flatter me, but it's aggravating and creepy, and marginalizes my hard work. Obviously, I lost it from all over, because that's how it works (I wish I could just target certain problem areas!)
  • Lastly, if you have a problem with me or don't like something I'm doing: TELL ME! Don't passive-aggressively punish me, and then tell me it's my own fault when you do something you KNOW will hurt me. Is revenge really so sweet that you want to destroy my trust like that? I don't read minds any better than you do. I'll also be better about telling you when something YOU do really bothers me -- it goes both ways! Like I said, I'm not perfect and I can be somewhat oblivious, but I will apologize and try to fix it if I know the issue is important to you.

I hate it when "Angry Megan" shows up -- I don't like her and I don't like being mad at my friends. I love you guys. Please love me for who I am and don't push me if you see I'm growing upset. I promise to do my best to do the same.


Golly, it feels good to get that out in the open. I feel better. Feel free to continue going about with your lives!

4 comments:

Aaron said...

Love you, sis. And I'm with ya; it's perfectly normal and acceptable to be bothered by these sorts of things.

Miss Megan said...

Thanks, Aaron. I appreciate the validation and the love :)

Anonymous said...

oh wow, I am sure I have been guilty of atleast one of these things. I'm sorry! (and also apologize in advance if I do it in the future)...

Got your sweet email. I have a couple of job opps coming up, so things are looking good for my move back to Utah. Hope to see you soon!love syl

Most Happy Girl said...

This is a great rant list. I applaud all of your rants. I think my fav is the one about tolerance (or lack thereof). I run into that one all of the time (probably from the same people as you).