My nieces are starting to notice and ask questions about the world around them. They see that people outside of their family do things differently, and they want to know why. Sometimes the questions are a little impertinent, but they are always honest.
One of my favorite conversations of late happened during family dinner last week. My mom (Grammy), my brother David, Breezy, Zonks, and I were all sitting together at one end of the table:
Me: Thanks, Mom.Hahaha! I love her logic! We beat that conversation to death, so she changed the subject. Or she simply wanted to know. David answered her question about the beard in a manner Zonks apparently thought satisfactory, and then turned back to me.
Zonks: You just called Grammy "Mom." Is she your mom?
Me: Yep.
Zonks: She's daddy's mom, too.
Me: Yes, she is. Who else's mom is she?
Zonks: (Thinking about it) David?
David and Me: Yes.
Zonks: Is she Heidi's Mom?
Me: No, but she is Heidi's husband's mom.
Zonks: Aaron?
Me: Yes. Who else?
Breezy: (She has been listening in) Peter?
Me: Yes, she's Peter's mom, too! So, if David and I have the same mom, what does that make us?
Zonks: (Looks a little confused)
Me: David is my...?
Zonks: (Tentatively) Brother?
Me: Yes! Just like the G-unit is your brother!
Zonks: (Turns to David) Why do you have a beard?
Zonks: Did you know that some mommies have fur on their shoulders (she indicates her armpit) and they shave it off so their shoulders are smooth?Awesome, right?
Me: I did know that.
Zonks: Do you shave your shoulders?
Me: Yes.
Zonks: Can I see?
Me: (Giggling) Yes. (I show her my armpit, and she feels the skin)
Zonks: (Awed) So much hair is gone.
Other questions they have asked me include:
- When did you move away from Grammy and Boppa's house?
- Why do you live by yourself? Can I come to your house?
- Why aren't you married?
- When are you going to get married?
- Where is your husband?
- Are you going to have a baby?
I wish I knew the answers to those last four!
These little girls are wonderful. I love that they are growing and curious and that they trust me enough to ask questions and accept my answers -- however simple or foreign -- as truth. I am lucky and grateful to have them in my life!

No comments:
Post a Comment