Tuesday, August 5

Hot in July

Oh, July. The temperature was so ridiculously hot, the people I spent time with were cool, I attended the world's first Fantasy Con, and I ate a lot of junk food. It was a good month. Here are some highlights:

Independence Day

The celebration of our Nation was almost as fun as the celebration of my grandmother's birthday. She is now 92, and doesn't look a day over 75. She's younger, classier, prettier, and more fun than Betty White, and as cool and confident as Maggie Smith. I sure do love this lady, and so do all of the progeny that gathered to wish her a happy birthday!!
Gram doesn't smile like this unless she's laughing, yet I always picture her this way in my mind.
Kim's expression is a bit unfortunate ;)
After the party, we enjoyed a Peter Breinholt concert (some of us enjoyed the music more than others) and fireworks at Holladay Park. Aaron and Heidi saved a section big enough for the whole group!

The fireworks would have been better if the musical accompaniment choices hadn't been so bad. They played "I Dreamed a Dream" and "Music of the Night" one after another, and concluded with Katy Perry's "Firework." Pretty songs, but not suited to the occasion. They also played "Born in the USA" and a tribute to all of the branches of military service, but we wished for more Sousa, and "Comin' to America." Remind us how proud we are to be Americans, darn it!

Monkey's blessing

My best friend's little boy was given a blessing by his grandfather. There was such a beautiful spirit during that blessing, and it was awesome to see Kate and Brandon surrounded by the people they love the most. I'm happy to celebrate any event with them any time!
I love this dear little family. Monkey is a perfect addition.
He's a sweetheart!

Besties!

Free food

My pocketbook was very, very grateful for a couple of occasions wherein I did not have to pay for food.
July 11 was Free Slurpee Day at 7-11 and Cow Appreciation Day at Chik-fil-A.
My office provides breakfast for the employees once every month.
This time, it was crepes, fruit, hash browns, and muffins.
The silly putty was a nice (non-edible) surprise; it changes colors the longer I play with it :)


Outdoor events

I love going to Bees games. I hadn't been in years, so I was glad when Sylinda wanted to come with me to a Ward activity.
This handsome mascot gave her quite a fright when it quietly sat next to her and then tapped her on the shoulder.
Lovely Syl and me
Lunch at Bruges Waffles and Frites with Gina (not pictured, sadly). The company was terrific, and this "waffle monster" turned out to be an ice cream sandwich, with strawberries, chocolate, and spekuloos. I regret nothing! 
Midvale Arts Council's modern re-telling of Into the Woods was delightful. I'm sorry for you if you missed it.

I attended a Pioneer Day celebration pageant that was also a fundraiser to buy hearing aids for the hearing impaired. Before the show, they had some skydivers drop in. It was very, very cool.
I still am not interested in skydiving ;)

Miscellaneous

Another big product release at work. This schedule changed a lot. At least the delays weren't my fault!
I've been experimenting with wearing my hair up. I felt rather pretty when I auditioned for Jekyll and Hyde.
That's always a nice feeling.

Play Your Part at Hale Centre Theatre

Since I volunteered a few years ago, the aforementioned Syl asked if I would be willing to help her again at a fundraiser for Parkinson's disease research, and of course I said "Yes." I helped oversee the silent auction for a few hours, then ate some of the banquet leftovers and watched most of Mary Poppins (all ticket sales that night were donated as part of the fundraiser). 
Melanie's face behind me kills me. Too funny!
The lovely Michelle Blake as Winifred Banks
Syl and I with Mary Poppins and Bert.
Thanks for humoring me, Syl. I know you'd had a long night!
On to August. Still a little bit of vacationing, outdoor theatre, and summer-ness to wring out of this wonderful weather. Speaking of which, I haven't been swimming yet -- what is wrong with me?! Better do that this week before rehearsals get going...

What do you have planned for the rest of your summer vacation?

No comments: