Once, when complaining to a female friend about how guys kept asking me for date activities I didn't care to do, she told me about what she called the "Caveman Effect", or "Get in my cave, Woman!"
Basically, in caveman days, all a man had to do to impress a girl was to club her over the head and drag her into his cave. She'd see how brave and strong and aggressive he was and fall hopelessly in love.
Nowadays, women don't take kindly to being clubbed and dragged. Instead, the man tries to impress her -- and gauge their compatibility -- by inviting her to do things he likes to do and is good at. This can be anything from country dancing, to hiking, to playing video games, to making dinner, to dinner at a fancy restaurant. The man finds out if the girl is up for it, and the girl gets to see the guy in his best light -- doing something he is good at and feels good about.
I went out several times recently with a guy who kept trying to drag me into his cave. I was willing to go along to a point... but it became evident early on that he didn't know how to make me feel welcome inside his cave, and he did not show any interest my likes or feelings. Turns out, there's a thin line between encouraging a person to try something new, and steamrolling over her comfort level. Some give and take is required, and it can't all come from the woman's side.
The Caveman Effect is less impressive when the man is more interested in his ego than the woman's opinion.
I'm willing to give a guy a chance. We're both nervous. We're both figuring each other out. If he has the guts to ask me out, I'll make an effort to ensure that he has a good time. I want to see where things go. See if I like him as a person. I'm on his side -- I want it to go well and see if we're a match. I'll make him as comfortable and appreciated as I can. It's nice when he does the same for me.
Thankfully, most men I've been out with do.

No comments:
Post a Comment