Sunday, May 15

Whiplash

I'll never again say that a bad blind date won't kill me.

Dan* took me out for Mexican food which is a good way to get on my good side. We then headed over to an ice skating rink in Murray. I go ice skating once every three or four years, but I figured I'd be okay. I'm in pretty good shape after all. I stumbled a few times and managed to keep my feet for about 45 minutes while we talked about movies and theater.

And then, with no warning or wobble, my feet went out from under me, I fell on my back, and then I hit my head hard on the ice. I wasn't knocked unconscious, thank goodness, but it HURT. My vision went blurry and I started crying. I knew I was in shock at the very least. Dan knelt and asked if I was okay and I responded somewhat wittily, "No, it hurts a lot." After a few moments, I let him and another girl help me stand, escort me off the ice, and sit on a bench. An employee came over and asked me a few questions to make sure I didn't have a concussion (I didn't). He also gave me some ice to put on the back of my head. 

After a some sitting and talking, I said, "I think I'm going to go home now." Dan was very sweet, removing my skates and putting my other shoes on and lacing them for me. He then escorted me to my car and followed me home to make sure I got there okay. I did. I apologized for ruining the night and asked if we could try again sometime. No more ice skating though ;)

Theresa stayed with me overnight to make sure I woke up the next morning. I cannot say how much I appreciate that she volunteered to do that, especially since the next morning was Mother's Day. I made her waffles and bacon as a thank you. I did wake up just fine the next morning, thank goodness, and didn't have any of the "danger signs" listed for head injuries on the website I had looked up.

I didn't have any headaches, but over the next couple of days my neck got more and more sore. After four days, I couldn't move it side to side or even lean over without extreme pain. So I bit the bullet and went to an instacare. After an exam and some freaky-looking x-rays, the doctor told me it was whiplash. He prescribed some medication and the next day I felt a whole lot better.

I've been doing well ever since. The back of my head is still tender, but it and my neck are healing quickly. I plan to take it easy for another week or so, and then I'm back into yoga. I already miss it!

So, in closing, I got whiplash on a date. I feel pretty lucky, because it could have been a LOT worse. It would be a funny meet-cute if Dan and I get married. But for now, I finally have a "worst date" story. I'm not likely to forget it anytime soon!


*Not his real name.

No comments: