Chicory root extract, chocolate chips with confectioners shellac (chocolate chips [sugar, chocolate liquor, cocoa butter, detrose, milk fat, soy lecithin], ethanol, shellac, hydrogenated coconut oil), rolled oats, crisp rice (rice flour, sugar, malt, salt), barley flakes, high maltose corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, sugar, canola oil, honey, glycerin, maltodextrin, palm kernel oil, tricalcium, phosphate, soy lecithin, salt, non fat milk, peanut oil, cocoa processed with alkali, natural flavor, baking soda, color added, almond flour, peanut flour, sunflower meal, wheat flour. Mixed tocopherols added to retain freshness.(It really was tastey. I promise. Thanks for sharing Emily A!)
Now I have a few questions:
1. Should I be worried that there was shellac in this product?
2. What is chicory root extract and why is there so much of it in here?
3. Should I be looking up ingredients like phosphate and alkali and tocopherols, or will it just scare me that I ate them?
4. Why did they have to add color, and
5. What color was it before?
See, this is why I don't generally read the ingredients in my processed, pre-packaged food. While I am excited that the first ingredient wasn't sugar, this food has made me think. I don't like thinking when I eat. I just want to enjoy my snack!
3 comments:
I love those Fiber One bars. In fact, I ate one about 30 minutes ago. I hardly ever read the ingredients.
I too am a fan of the bars. I can't read ingredients either, I get paranoid and always feel inferior.
As for the chicory root extract, I decided to look it up and here are the results. (i feel so special)
Chicory root extract is a dietary supplement or food additive produced by mixing dried, ground, chicory root with water, and removing the insoluble fraction by filtration and centrifugation. Other methods may be used to remove pigments and sugars. Fresh chicory root typically contains, by dry weight, 68% inulin, 14% sucrose, 5% cellulose, 6% protein, 4% ash, and 3% other compounds. Dried chicory root extract contains, by weight, approximately 98% and 2% other compounds.[clarify][1] Fresh chicory root may contain between 13 and 23% inulin, by total weight.[2]
Ha ha! Thanks for looking that up, Tiff. It makes me feel better for some reason.
Post a Comment