
On Sunday as I perused my neighbor's program during Sacrament Meeting on Sunday, I noticed something you don't normally see in a Singles' Ward: an announcement that the Primary would be performing their Christmas Program. Now, there are a few people in the ward who do have kids, but they're pretty small, and we don't have enough for a Primary. Heck, I've never been in a Singles' ward that did have a Primary. So, I double-checked the program, and sure enough, it was for my ward. Hmmm.
Brother Cameron from the Bishopric announced that the 12th Ward's Primary was visiting to perform for us. Then a single little girl walked up to the podium, said she was going to play "Canon in D" and "Away in a Manger" on the piano, and wished us a Merry Christmas. She couldn't have been older than 8, but her playing was phenomenal. We in the audience were all a little confused -- this one girl was the Primary? -- but when she finished, another lady got up and started playing an interlude while 16 more kids, still dressed in their Sunday best at 3:15, ranging from probably four to eleven years of age, walked up to the podium. It was pretty much the cutest thing ever. They sang three songs, and as I looked into the audience, I saw that everyone's eyes were riveted to those children. They sang very well and it was such a welcome change!
As soon as the children finished and left, Brother Cameron stood up again and said, "That's what you have to look forward to." We all cracked up and he added, "How's that for a marketing event?" Oh, how I loved that remark! This Bishopric is really good at encouraging marriage without making us all feel guilty for being unmarried in a church that stresses the importance of family. I'll admit, it was true. Even though I didn't know any of those kids, I felt the spirit as they sang, marveled at their attentiveness and dedication, and hoped one day I'd get to be one of those proud/embarrassed parents watching to see what my own kids will do on stage!
To finish the meeting, a young man in our ward sang "O, Holy Night" and then the Stake President gave a Christmas message. I've mentioned before I've needed more "Christ" this Christmas season, and I'm grateful that's what we focused on Sunday. It was a great meeting.
1 comment:
Long ago I learned that having children sing is probably the easiest way to bring the Spirit into a meeting. (We used to call it 'cheating')
Post a Comment