(I am really tired, so I apologize if this isn't totally coherent)
So... remember how I auditioned for Kiss Me Kate on a whim? Yeah, it's pretty much pure awesome. I love it! I love the cast and rehearsing is so fun! I am even glad that I'm not one of the leads, because I love the crazy, manic, superhard dancing. There are lifts in every dance that I have yet to master. We need two more men for the chorus (do you know anyone who's available and a good dancer?). I don't get to see my friend Jason hardly EVER but I'm sure he's still in the show. I haven't been in an ensemble in so long I forgot how hard it is to create a character completely from scratch. I have decided on a character name: Norma Billings. My darling double cheerfully agreed to adopt the name with me. She is the BEST!
But, like I said, I have an awesome cast to discover it with. And the pro[duction] team could not be more fun and funny. The director tonight mimed getting on a soap box before he lectured us, for crying out loud! We get pretty wacky and have full permission to be crazy... as long as we're quiet offsides (which, by the way, is why he was lecturing us). We get pretty loud and chatty.
One of my favorite things about the cast is that most of us are in our mid-twenties to mid-thirties, most are married, and everyone is totally comfortable with themselves. We've discovered that the play is rife with innuendo, and some are really good with making it even more naughty (which I'm sure will be toned down before we open). We're having fun with the switching of couples between dances and the fact there are more men than women in the cast! That doesn't happen very often!
It also amuses me that our clothes are getting really beat up. I have owned my character shoes for 12 years, and they didn't start getting scuffed up until this show! The color on the sides of my shoes is almost completely worn off. I will probably have to polish them at least once a week once the show opens. Plus, we do a lot of sliding on the floor, and since most of us wear black sweatpants the dust marks on our hindquarters are inevitable! Why do I mention this? Why not? It's a part of the whole experience!
Several of us have even gone out after some of the rehearsals. A month ago we went to Dairy Queen, and last Friday we ate out at Iggy's. Good times!
We open in less than 4 weeks! It's weird to think I auditioned nearly 3 months ago, and it will all be over in 2 more. I am so glad I randomly auditioned for this play! It's been awesome so far!
2 comments:
Yes, Jason is still in the play... You'll see him Thursday and every night till you open starting on the 25th. Which, incidentally, is his birthday! So you'll get to spend more time with him on his birthday than I will!
Megan! I'm so excited you found my blog! How glad I am that you have one too. I'll be a "follower" and leave lots of comments. I think you're absolutely adorable! Happy you're still doing theatre too!
Post a Comment