Saturday, February 26
Reflections on Valentine's Day
As I sit in my apartment and watch the snow flutter outside my window, I am grateful for Valentine's Day. Yes, it was two weeks ago, and yes, I didn't have an official "valentine" date, but I'm grateful for the holiday anyway.
As one who has never really liked the "February" time of year -- tired of winter, post-holiday doldrums, etc. -- I realize it's kinda nice to have something to look forward to. Otherwise, February could be one depressing month!
So, I find it annoying when people dismiss Valentine's Day as a "greeting card holiday" and more trouble than it's worth.
I've never had a boyfriend on Valentine's Day. I did once have a date on the day, and it turned out to be terrible. That guy just wanted someone to make out with on the "romantic" holiday, and he didn't care that I wasn't really up for it. Lame.
And yet, even though I'm single every year, I don't like to call it "Single-Awareness Day". After all, why must it be a romantic holiday? Obviously, for people in romantic relationships that is the most important one to celebrate, but I love a lot of people! Why not just spend it with family or friends? Why must it be a stressful day full of crazy plans and trying too hard?
Maybe I'm just low-maintenance.
On my Valentine's Day this year, it was the first day at work for my new co-worker Kyra. So, our boss took her and me out to lunch. After work, I grabbed tacos-to-go from Cafe Rio, and watched Woman of the Year at my condo. I was alone, and it was still a good day.
So, I guess I'm just saying that I'm grateful for an excuse, ANY excuse to celebrate the people I care about. I may not have had a big party, or a romantic date, or any plans at all, but that doesn't mean I didn't think about those who mean the most to me. I hoped that wherever they were, they were doing something fun, and grateful for those important to them, too.
Happy Belated Valentine's Day! I hope it was everything you needed it to be, and that it chased some of the winter doldrums away!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
It did chase some of the winter doldrums away! I agree that Valentine's Day is about love, not necessarily solely romantic love, and you're right, you love so many people in a variety of ways. I think there needs to be a lot more love in this world, and yet, it's amazing how much love there already is!
Post a Comment