Tuesday, March 15

"Our parents are making us do this"

I've been following the Utah Bride Blog ever since they ran a photo spread on my brother and sister-in-law last year. I love the gorgeous couples, eclectic decorating ideas, flower arrangements, color combinations, tips on how to hold/throw the bouquet, etc. etc. etc. It's so fun to see what blogger Megan highlights every day!

However, I've been noticing a couple of photo shoot trends that I do not particularly like. The first is sepia-tinted photos that make them look old-fashioned. Blech. Yes, the sepia/washed-out tint makes them look airy and romantic, but I find it annoying anyway. I'm a fan of bright colors and color contrasts.

The second are artsy photos where you can't see the couple's faces, and when you do they aren't smiling. The first time I saw a photo like this (at least 10 years ago), one of my friends commented that the caption should be "Our parents are making us do this" and now I can't help but think of that every time I see a similar photo. I like the idea of people being in a natural setting, and sure smiling photos can come across as cheesy, but at the same time, when ELSE will it be acceptable to be cheesy and sappy and overt in your obvious affection (this goes along with my "when else will you get to wear a veil" sentiment that despises the current trend not to wear a veil)? I HOPE the couple is affectionate off-camera... and though I should state that I think kissing photos are tacky, again I reiterate that at no time are they as appropriate as engagement/wedding photos.

So, when I saw this post yesterday, I rolled my eyes and typed in a comment:

This couple looks fabulous, and I also adore the checkered shirt and solid tie!

However, I feel like this session highlights a trend I am NOT a fan of: no smiling photos. I understand the idea that they’re supposed to look natural, but they don’t look happy. They look bored. They aren’t even looking at each other. Half the time, we can’t even see their faces. They’re spending so much time trying to look edgy and cool that they don’t look like they’re having any fun.

Just my opinion. Like I said, the photos are gorgeous and so is the couple. I hope they have a long happy life together!

Yeah, it's a little harsh. After all, those may just be the photos that the photographer or the blogger picked out. Maybe there are a ton of smiling photos, they just weren't as artsy or in fitting with the theme. And then I realized that if I were that bride or that photographer and someone posted that comment, it might hurt my feelings. Who am I to judge people I don't even know and am not likely to meet?

But, if you look at the actual post, and scroll down the comment, you'll notice that all that was posted is:
This couple looks fabulous, and I also adore the checkered shirt and solid tie!

I feel censored and at the same time relieved. At least I have an idea of what I want for myself. Maybe not all of my engagement photos will be totally cheesy, but we'll be smiling and laughing as much as we can!

I must say, though, I had to laugh and roll my eyes again when I saw the photos in today's UBB post. At least the blogger saw my ranting comment! Whether or not it makes a difference doesn't really matter, 'cause I have no idea if my comment had anything to do with the fact that there are very few bored-looking photos of today's couple. BTW, I LOVE Alie's dress and turquoise shoes!!

Hooray for happy couples! You give me something to celebrate and hope for!

1 comment:

Larissa said...

I just had to go check it out and WOW does that couple look MISERABLE! Maybe they have rotted out hick teeth? It is just AWFUL!!!! Smiles add SO SO much and I PROMISE their smiles are reasons they fell in love with each other. That being said, they do look to be about 18 and 20, so perhaps they just don't make good decisions yet:-)