Just to make the last couple of performances a bit more exciting for you, the viewer, I propose a little game that I like to call "The Suzy Simpson Drinking Game." My character in The Marvelous Wonderettes has a lot of catch phrases. In fact, there are only a few times in the show where she doesn't use some form of her signature phrases. It's a lot of fun to play, but sometimes confusing to remember which one I'm supposed to be using, and where the heck to put it.
Now, I don't drink, and I don't think it's actually allowed at the park (I'm too lazy to look it up, so I don't know for sure). Plus, this is a family-friendly show. Instead, I suggest the following whenever I use the associated phrase:
- "Hi Ritchie!" or "I/we love you Ritchie!": Eat three Skittles
- "Thank you, Mr. Lee" or "We love you, Mr. Lee!": Eat one Starburst
- "Oh, okay, so...": Eat three peanut butter M&Ms
- "L-O-V-E! That spells love!": Drink four sips of a sprite
- "[Being] a butthead.": Eat a bite of Twix
- "That's the Prom Queen!": Take a bite of a Snickers*
- Blow a bubble: Eat a handful of peanut M&Ms
- "Oh my golly!": Chug a root beer
*All of these items can be purchased at the concessions counter. All proceeds go to future Midvale Arts Council shows!
It's been a really good run. Our producer says it's successful in the sense that we've had a very, very positive response from those who have seen it. The reviewer from Utah Theater Bloggers loved it, we've had a ton of wonderful comments on the Facebook event page, and Larissa liked it so much that she came twice AND blogged about it both times! I am so grateful. All I want as a performer is to have fun, tell the story, and entertain an audience. I believe those goals have been met this time.
There's always a danger when doing a play outdoors that we'll be rained out. However, none of the five outdoor shows I've done previously ever were. During the run of this show (so far), we've had rain three of those nights, including opening night. Luckily and happily, we have an alternate location right behind the outdoor stage. I happen to love performing in the Bowery, because it feels more like a high school... but those have been the nights we've had the smallest audiences. Still fun and appreciative audiences, but I get frustrated whenever someone says "I was going to come, but then it rained..." Grrr! There's nothing I can do about the rain. I can only be grateful we weren't cancelled and people still came, and they were terrific shows (last night was my best vocal night yet, tied with last Saturday).
Maybe I forgot to chew gum for one of the performances (which is pretty crucial to my character in the first act). Maybe we've all forgotten a line or two, and stepped on each other's lines a couple of times. Maybe the audience participation aspect didn't go quite as planned... it's those kind of things that makes me love live theater! Our performances and voices are stronger every night, and I'm still amazed that I have been able to sing the way our music director hoped. I never knew I could belt like that and am looking forward to another opportunity!
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I feel very blessed to be able to do this show with so many people I love, and even more blessed to share the experience with others. I hope that we have large, happy audiences for our final two performances, that the rain stays away long enough, and that everyone has a good time!
We don't sing this song in the show, but I think about this video sometimes when running the choreography. Enjoy! Happy Friday!
See you from the stage!

3 comments:
haha Too funny, Megan! I think I'd be sick pretty quick after all that candy, but focusing on your lines would definitely make it interesting!
It was such a darling show! I wish I could have seen it every night. It was that good. The whole cast was really talented!
I am so glad I finally got to meet you, Jess! Thank you so much for coming, and for your nice words :) I wish you could have come every night, too!
Post a Comment