Tuesday, April 30

Robin Hood notes: after the first rehearsal

Just some thoughts about my latest show, Robin Hood: Legend of the Sherwood Bandit, after the casting announcement and the first rehearsal:
  • My mother's high school mascot was the "Saxon" warriors. She took great offense when I told her the Saxons are looked down upon in the world of Robin Hood. Somehow, she missed the part where Aaron and I are both Saxon characters. The legacy lives on!
  • I didn't think it was possible, but I have become even less relevant to my nephew.
    Aaron at the first read-through.
    When he saw me last Sunday, he didn't even say "Hi" before demanding: "Where is the sword-fighter?" When Aaron finally arrived, he and the G-child grabbed some lightsabers for a lesson in fencing. *Sigh* Just another time I wish I were a man in theater... or at least got to have one fight scene! I cry a bit in the show; it's not the same. It is pretty cool how excited the G-child is about this show. I took him to see another version of Robin Hood a few months ago, and he has all kinds of questions about how this one is different. I can't wait for him to see it!
  • After the read-through at the first rehearsal, the director and the "leads" did my very favorite thing: we talked about our characters! We didn't have much time, so our director asked each of us questions specific to our characters. We're to mull them over and we'll likely be talking with her about them later as certain scenes come up. I find that Grimm, Merlin, Firefly, and Game of Thrones are already helping me figure out my character. She is so different from the type I normally play. I hope I can pull it off (I keep saying that, but I am worried about it).
  • Having the playwright play my scene partner is more than a little intimidating. In talking to him, he had some very specific ideas about my character. He would, since he's been thinking about her for months longer than I have. From his own and his character's point of view (Sir Guy), I can see where he is coming from, and he wasn't terribly accepting of MY ideas (which seemed to be a little more in line with the director's thoughts). One of my ideas kind of shocked him, but he went there first ;) Guess I can't be too hard on him; of course he wouldn't be thinking from an ambitious, medieval, woman's point of view. I actually think it will be better in the future if I share as little about my character's motivations with him as possible. Sir Guy wouldn't know, so why should he? It would just add to the dysfunctional nature of their relationship -- heehee! (I should state that the playwright/actor is a cool guy and I'm excited to work with him.)
  • Every time I watch a movie or t.v. show that has an actor or character named "Will" in it, and someone says "Fire at will," I mentally scream: "No! DON'T fire at Will!" (My favorite example is Independence Day). I think it's hilarious. For that reason alone, I really hope that at some time in Robin Hood, someone says "Fire at will." ;-) Sadly, there doesn't seem to be a place for it this time.
My second rehearsal is tomorrow, and I shall begin learning songs I'll sing with Alan A-Dale's troup. Woot! Time to get my soprano voice back in shape. It's been a little neglected for the last several months...

1 comment:

Aaron said...

Saxon pride forever!