Wednesday, October 14

Time to Read!


Gill by Norm Feuti


I love to read. It's one of my favorite activities and the main reason why I chose to be an English major, despite my strong aversion to teaching large groups and the fact that "English" doesn't specifically translate into other obvious jobs like, say, Accounting or Teaching. I often have at least 2 books in my purse -- so I make sure to buy purses that can comfortably fit multiple books inside.

There is just something wonderful about losing myself to another world. I love to imagine myself in different situations, I love to get to know the characters, and I love to apply the lessons I learn to my own life. I read books over and over again, because those characters become family, and I am always surprised and delighted to find something different in them each time, because even if the book doesn't change I am different and I find new insights and meanings in even the silliest of stories.

At college, my apartment was just a few blocks from campus, and I got really good at reading while walking. Peripheral vision is important during such an activity. I made sure to look both ways when crossing the street, and managed never to fall off the sidewalk or be hit by a car. I'm quite proud of that feat.

Currently, I'm in the middle of three books... not counting two biographies that are excellent but somehow not tempting, and my religious study. I have just a few pages of Audition left, and when I finish, you can bet I'll jump right back into the other two. I promised Kate I wouldn't read anything else until I finish, which turned out to be a good idea. I love this book!

Sadly, I don't have as much time for recreational reading as I'd like. I usually end up crawling into bed about midnight and reading until 1am. I know it's not healthy, but it's the only "reading time" I can count on!

I've taken to reading any odd chance I get. I look forward to -- even hope for -- red traffic lights so I can stop, pull out my book and read a few paragraphs until the light turns green, replace the bookmark in the book, set the book on my lap, and drive until I hit another red light or my destination. I don't read while actually driving. No book is quite good enough to risk an accident, however sorely I am tempted.

Winter is coming, and besides Christmas and Christmas carols, I am most looking forward to snowy days when I can wrap myself in a blanket, curl up on the couch, and read something awesome while I drink hot chocolate. It's totally cliche, but it's cliche because it's awesome.

The point of this post is: find something you are interested in reading, be it biography, historical novel, fantasy fiction, self-help, childrens', instructional, fashion magazine, comic book, cereal box or whatever. There is something for everyone! I admit to reading a lot fiction -- mostly fantasy or historical. One of my brothers loathed to read while we were growing up, found his niche, and last year loaned me his favorite book, Moby Dick by Herman Melville. Seriously, something for everyone. You never know what you're going to love.

3 comments:

FamilyLife said...

I have learned to appreciate books on CD to help me avoid my desire to read and drive at the same time. Just try to get books with short sections so that you are not stuck in your driveway waiting to see what happens next. Personally, I go for the non-fiction so I have time to think about what I've just hear.

Steph said...

I am sitting in my office with my ear phones on listening to The Lost Symbol right now. I find it a great way to get through a book. However I have found that when I need to do something on the computer where I need to read or type (as in what I am doing right now) I have to pause the book.

The other place I found to read is at the doctors. I get allergy shots twice a week so I have 30 minutes with nothing but waiting. So I read a book. It takes me ages to get through one book, but hey, at least I found time to read!!

Take what we can, eh?

Hatt family said...

I love reading too! I also think you're blog is super cute! Makayla is already starting to read while walking, fortunately she usually only does that on the way home from school while I'm with her to keep an eye on her!