Monday, November 9

Dentist Stories

Once upon a time, about 10 years ago, I went to the dentist for some sealants. My dentist has televisions on the ceiling so that the patients can watch while we have work done.

On this particular afternoon, the Disney movie Pocahontas was playing, and as luck would have it, my favorite song came on: "Mine, Mine, Mine" where everyone is digging for gold. The song is just so great! I love the harmony and the words and the imagery... and suddenly a tear trickled from my right eye.

Now, you need to know that my dentist is my dad, that I worked as an office worker and then a dental assistant there for many summers in high school and college, and I've known everyone who works there for years and years. They are protective of me and I love to see them every six months. It's like a bi-yearly appointment to hang out with friends where I happen to also get my teeth cleaned.

So, when I started to cry, the assistant administering the sealants -- Leslie -- immediately stopped and asked, "Am I hurting you? Are you okay?" And then everyone else in the vicinity jumped up and demanded, "What are you doing to her?!" Poor Leslie was so flustered!

How embarrassing to admit I was fine -- just emotional about a song I like!

Every once in awhile, I think about that day and smile. It's nice to feel loved.



Fast forward to today:

I had a regular check-up this morning. Since my throat is still sensitive I gagged through the X-rays, but otherwise all went swimmingly. It so happened that the movie I chose today was Disney's The Lion King. I watched the very end, and then they started the movie over, so I got to watch the beginning sequence.

Would you believe I started to cry again?!

The music is just so good! And I love the imagery of all of the animals, and the palpable excitement as they all prepare to meet the new little king. I started to cry, the assistant -- Teisha -- asked if I was okay, and when I told her why I was crying she laughed and offered me a tissue. I even told her about the Pocahontas story and we laughed some more. I stopped crying by the time my dad showed up. Too bad. He probably would have laughed with us!



Now I'm even more excited to see The Lion King musical when the touring company comes next summer. Can't thank you enough, Steph, for selling me the tickets!!

And hey! No cavities! I'd call that a good dentist visit.

2 comments:

Candice J said...

I think you might be hinting that we need a Disney movie night. :) Love ya!!

Mandee Lue said...

Jealous! So glad you have good dental visits :) Your smile is just that pertty :) Loves!