Wednesday, June 18

Medical Morning

I finally went to the doctor today about this cold/allergy/sinus infection/?? that I've had for the last three weeks or so. I reached the breaking point last night, the fourth night in a row where I had a headache so bad that unless I was performing (during which time all illnesses magically disappear -- have you ever noticed that phenomenon? It's so trippy) I had to lay down.

So, since my own doctor is always too booked to see me the same day, and I don't ever plan ahead didn't have an appointment for today already, I went to an Instacare. They put me in a room pretty quickly, and then I sat there for a good 20 minutes. I had brought my journal, so at least I had something to do, but they must only have one doctor, because the hallway sure was quiet! I kind of wish they had let me stay in the Waiting Room, because I was quite enjoying Steve Carell on Live With Regis and Kelly, and I kind of feel that people get forgotten if they aren't right in front of the personel...

The doctor came in and said "how are you today" which I never really know how to answer. Do I say "I feel lousy, duh." Or "I'm happy, but my body hates me?" I just feel stupid saying the requisite "Fine" because if I'm fine, what the heck am I doing there? So, I just kind of went into a description of how I'm feeling and how long it's been and the circumstances I'm laboring under. I always try to be as detailed as possible, because a friend told me once that the littlest thing can be really important even if they don't seem related. Like, if a child has headaches and nosebleeds together it could be a sign of leukemia, but if the child comes in and says she has a headache the doctor isn't allowed to ask "do you get nosebleeds?" for some reason even if they suspect leukemia, so they may end up treating the child for the wrong thing. So I pay attention to what's wrong and where and what days and all that jazz, and I don't care if I sound like a crazy person doing it.

For some reason, I never have the actual disease going around: flu, strep throat, or whatever. That sounds like a good thing, except if it's just some "virus" (translation: the doctor has no idea what I have), the doc can't give me any real medication. I was very afraid that was what the doctor was going to say today. I explained symptoms and she'd ask questions and at one point she said "you're not helping me" because it didn't sound like a sinus infection she could tell I was going to go nuts if there wasn't anything she could do to help.

In the end, she said "you're going to want to take a decongestant" and gave me a prescription for amoxicillin. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to take both at the same time, but before I could even ask she was outta there. Just while she was talking she stood up and walked out and was still yelling over her shoulder as she walked down the hall. I assumed that meant we were finished, but I didn't have all my questions answered! I felt pretty insignificant at that point. She's allowed to be busy, but at least take the time to say "Any questions? No? Good luck." Meanwhile, I did have a question "should I take the decongestant AND the amoxicillin?" that I never got to ask.

So, I went to Wal-Mart to get my prescription filled, and sent a text message to Wendi at work letting her know what I was doing and that I should be in the office in about an hour. I picked Wal-Mart because it's close to work and I've been there before. I keep telling myself it's not a ghetto, but it is. At least, the one near the office is. It's like a cave. The super-nice lady behind the Pharmacy counter told me I have pretty hair, and the prescription should be ready in about 10 minutes. Yeah, I've heard that story before. I waited about 20 minutes, and then walked back over to the counter. The lady saw me and kind of panicked, as if she hadn't put the order in yet, which she hadn't. I kept looking at the decongestants thinking "should I get some just in case?" but I worry a lot that I'll overdose, or take conflicting stuff together, so I decided not to.

Fourty-five minutes later I finally had my meds, stopped by Wendy's for a salad for lunch, and finally got into work. Sure enough, my co-workers informed me that I needed the decongestant along with the amoxicillin. Grrrr! I was right there!! Oh well, hopefully it won't be too detrimental to wait until after work... or after rehearsal... But I'm annoyed at the doctor who was too busy to talk to me even though there was a sign next to the door that told me not to leave until I had all my questions answered. I should have shouted my question down the hall. It's my fault. I'm always too worried I'm going to inconvenience someone. *sigh*

Hopefully it won't take the full 10 days to get better. I really want to get to enjoy these last few Birdie rehearsals and all of the performances!!

Okay, I'm done complaining. Better get some work done now.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

You poor lady! What a terrible morning. I think that doctors should be required to be patients somewhere where no one knows they are a doctor at least every three months so that they are reminded (frequently) how awful it is to be a patient. (Sorry; that's an awfully long sentence.) Anyway, get feeling better soon! Please let me know if you need anything tonight! ~Love you!

Patti said...

I hate dealing with instacare doctors. Unless you are bleeding profusely from a head wound (been there with a couple of kids doing that) or suffering from chest pains (had that with my dad) they kind of ignore you.

Steph said...

You are so funny. For future reference on meds, you can always ask the nice pharmacist behind the large counter about drug interactions. Those two meds are supposed to work together to clear it all out and do not have strong interactions. However you should probably stick with a decongestant that is non-drowsy for the run of the show!

Wendi said...

Being sick is lame and the stress level at work sure doesn't help.