Wednesday, June 25

"Birdie" Backstage

Anyone who has done anything involving a group of people performing for another group of people, such as a play, dance recital, or sport, knows that sometimes the drama going on behind-the-scenes is just as fun as that going on in front of the crowd. There are millions of little things that go into making a show what it is, and consequently millions of opportunities for craziness.

For awhile now, I've considered bringing a video camera to rehearsals and performances and to record some of the wacky and sometimes stressful goings-on. Well, I don't own a video camera (although my digital camera takes limited amounts of decent video recordings), but I've been making an effort during this show to write in my journal random things I don't necessarily want to forget. Such as:

"June 3, 2008: The scene where Conrad (Karl Rosengren) tries to kiss me is tricky, because I do ALL the talking, and Karl's part is all visual... While the rest of the cast ran some other scenes, Karl and I set up away from the group, worked on the scene, and then rehearsed it about a bajillion times. Karl's wife, Susan, took some photos of us that she jokes she's going to blackmail Karl with. Ah well, it's not the first time I've been the "other woman" in these theatre relationships..."

"June 11, 2008: Music director Candice mentioned during notes the last two nights that I sound out-of-breath in my first song 'How Lovely to Be a Woman'... she suggested I try practicing while walking on the treadmill or something, which I will try as soon as I have a few minutes..."

"June 18, 2008: After the second run-through, I decided to take up the pro team's request to help out with cleaning and painting props (I've never done that in a show; I always hope someone else will go!)... Everything was dusty and cobwebby and gross... Laren asked the firemen if we could use their hose to clean everything off, and I'm glad they said "yes" because it saved us a lot of time! I helped Karl and Maida paint two benches yellow, and a table green with Amy H..."

"June 22, 2008: Kate, Emily and I created a space just for ourselves. The backstage area is just one big, long room that feels more than a little like a bomb shelter, and with 60 and more members of the cast, it can feel more than a little claustrophobic. To give us some privacy, Kate and Laren create a "room" for Emily, Kate and me by putting up a screen, covered shelf, and our costume rack up as three walls. Consequently, we have a place to make our many costume changes away from wandering eyes, and we have a place to sit if we need some quiet..."

"June 22, 2008: I realized this weekend that unless I interact with someone onstage directly, I really have no idea what anyone else is doing. I'm pretty involved with my own character's story... This is why I'm glad I got to watch while Autumn rehearsed as Kim: I got to watch the show!... Everyone has grown so much since March when we all auditioned. We've become a family, and it's been great to see how committed to each scene that each actor is (wow, that's a lousy sentence). Everyone gives so much energy and personality and thought into every minute. It's easy to see they are having fun, and that makes it even more fun to watch... That makes me want to work even harder -- I don't want to let them down!"

"June 22, 2008: The big stressor during the show last night was with our darling Austin... who plays my steady, Hugo Peabody. He has appendicitis and is going in for surgery next Friday, but last night he had a flare up and was in so much pain we worried he couldn't perform... Fortunately, Austin was able to perform last night, and is going to the doctor today..."

Do you see how this could be a cool documentary? Waaaay cooler on video than my lame attempts to capture the experience in print. I am super excited when I get a video of the stage performance, but even that and the photos don't quite get the essense.

Ah well, enjoy it while I can. Two shows left!!

6 comments:

Karl Rosengren said...

I was thinking, also, that it would be an interesting documentary to see behind the scenes of a show like this. There are so many people and so many things going on that there would be several interesting stories to tell.

Also, I'm grateful that you took the time to work on that scene with me because otherwise I'd probably be staring blankly at you the whole time. I think our way is a little funnier.

You're doing a fantastic job, by the way. Keep it up. See you tonight.

Stephanie said...

Yay! I love your commentary! It's always such fun to find out what everyone else is thinking and feeling.

You are fabulous, and I feel so thankful that I know you!

Erica said...

That is hilarious! My video camera is not very good. I wish I'd thought of that sooner. I'm planning on bringing my regular camera tonight so I won't have time to do both stills and video. Ah well. See you tonight! :^)

BTW...do Karl and Susan have a blog?

Miss Megan said...

Karl and Susan do have a blog. I put a link to it (and yours) in my "People I Love Who Blog" section on the right. I love knowing I'll be able to keep in touch with people after the show closes! I love you all so much!

FamilyLife said...

Those observations are right on! Your blog is right on and really fun to read. I went on my mission to Arizona too! I was in the Tucson mission and it went into New Mexico and was cold there too. I am also going to add to your plug for Austenland. That book has one of the most satisfying endings I have read in awhile. Keep up the blog even when you move onto another show!

emily, etc, etc said...

I think you left out a couple of kep "drama moments" - although those were probably better left out!

I think you are just the best - and I am sooooooo glad we got to do the show together. Yeah, I have a new friend! love you.....