Friday, December 4

My New Moon Song

I am a little embarrassed to admit this is yet another in what I imagine are thousands of blog posts dedicated to the Twilight book and/or movie series. What can I say? They are popular for a reason and I am a follower in many ways.

I'll tell you from the start, I am squarely on the side of Team Jacob. I read all of the books and I was very satisfied with the way the romantic triangle ended because everyone was happy, but pretty much the entire series I thought, "Seriously? Who would choose the grumpy vampire over the fun-loving werewolf?" Jacob is playful, funny, active, works with his hands, loyal, happy, and good-looking. I liked the book New Moon mostly because Edward wasn't in it most of the time. I was actually annoyed when he showed up again.

Now, I hope that my Team Edward friends are still my friends. I understand the appeal of Edward. I promise I do. He's handsome, protective, sensitive, thoughtful, intellectual, well-dressed, loves music, and lives only to serve his lady-love. That's very attractive.

Can't we all just agree that everyone isn't looking for the exact same things -- or combination of things -- in their ideal guy?

I finally got to see the movie New Moon last night and I liked it, mostly for the reasons stated above. Goooooooooooo Jacob (shouted in a cheerleader-type way)! Taylor Lautner is so charismatic. So sweet. So fun. So beautiful. Robert Pattinson is a terrific Edward -- he is very true to the character from the book and I really, really wanted to root for him and Bella -- but just like when I read the book I was kind of annoyed when he showed up again (mostly because of his scrawny, pale, glittering chest). Hold him up next to Taylor and in my head it's no contest.

This is why Bella is the one caught in the love triangle. If it were me, there would be no question. But there's no question for her and it's all Edward. So, good for her.

I do take exception with Bella selfishly begging Jacob to be her friend even though she knows he loves her and she doesn't love him. Personally, I think that's just mean. I know what it's like to have to tell a friend repeatedly that I don't love him and it's never going to happen. It is probably the worst thing I've ever had to do. He was really mad when I told him we couldn't be friends anymore because I couldn't live my life being afraid he'd never get over me. But I had to do it. As long as I allowed him to hope neither of us could move on. He deserved to find someone who wants to love him, and I deserved not to feel like a terrible person anymore. I just regret it took me as long as it did to finally break off the friendship. But apparently Bella has no problem stringing a guy along.

But I digress. The movie felt very, very long, but I liked it anyway! I saw it again tonight (don't judge me, I missed the first few minutes of the movie the first time) and may need to see it again in a couple of weeks. I haven't read the books in a year so I'd forgotten many of the details. It's nice to see a movie and be surprised by wonderful tidbits. I'd forgotten how funny Jessica is, and how sweet Bella's dad (who is perfectly cast in the move, by the way) is.

Perfect movie? No. Am I happy? Yes.

Meanwhile, just for fun I decided to write a song based on the movie, mostly because whenever I see the posters for New Moon, the music for the song "Blue Moon" runs through my head.

My New Moon Song:
Sung to the tune of "Blue Moon" by Lorenz Hart and Richard Rodgers
New moooon!
We saw her standing alone
Without a dream in her heart;
Without a love of her own.

New moooon!
She didn't know what she was there for.
Audience saying a prayer for
The one she really did care for.

And then suddenly
There appeared
Before her
A muscled werewolf
whose arms she wouldn't hold.
He said "Come, buddy"
Please adore me!
Her love for Edward
Kept her from being bold.

Oh! Oh! Oh!

New mooooon!
Now she's no longer alone
Staves off the dream in her heart
But she won't call Jake her own.

*Scatting*

And then suddenly
Italy was there
Before her.
Saw Edward glitter
And her blood ran cold.
The other vampires
Wanted to destroy her,
But goodness won
And the heros flew back home!

New mooooon!
Now she's no longer alone
With future dreams in her heart
With a sweet love of her own.

*scatting*

Ding-a-dong-dang!
New mooooon!


Pretty bad, eh? Oh well. I'll try harder next time!

1 comment:

Mandee Lue said...

I think I like that song a lot more than I wish I did! Ha! I love how you feel about the New Moon stuff because I feel almost exactly the same and you wrote it out so beautifully! All...except I'm not such a big fan for Robert Pattinson... I think they could have done better! But YAY for Jake... :) and I saw it twice too :P