Friday, March 30

"I'm here for the audience. Not the other way around."

So... yesterday I was needy and nervous and whiny and self-conscious and totally spewed all of that on everyone who read the last post.

I am so embarrassed and SO SORRY.

Everything will be okay. People will come (right?) and they'll enjoy the play. Why wouldn't they? We're terrific! Even if we weren't, the script is funny enough that people would like it even if we just stood around and read it (which, of course, we aren't doing).

Our preview last night was a little bumpy, and though the audience was very appreciative and really seemed to like it, my cast was mortified and could only focus on the mistakes. Then our stage manager said something  I had forgotten:
Most audiences come wanting to be entertained. They will forgive our mistakes a lot more quickly and readily than we will. 
My Kate saw the preview, too, and said a few things this morning that helped to calm me down and gain a much, much more healthy perspective:
  • If I could offer a mantra for you: "What I've chosen is funny enough." And then, when you don't hear the audience laugh - you can borrow my mantra: "I'm here for the audience. Not the other way around." 
  • All the great comedians have felt what you're feeling. Tina Fey wrote volumes on not hearing the audience reactions...
  • There are also some things that I think will improve when you all stop aiming for laughs. I think you've been given the message that the audience has to laugh aloud to show you they find it amusing. In comedy, most audience members won't laugh aloud. 
*Deep breath, slow exhale*

I promise not to freak out on you about this particular insecurity again. That was really unfair. I want you to react honestly and appropriately for YOU. I will be happy regardless of whether you laugh; I am just glad that you are all so supportive. I have the best friends out there!

As a thank you, a last apology, and a "Happy Friday" wish, here is a video that I shouldn't have tried to watch at work, because it is so laugh-out-loud funny! Sara Ramirez* is such a star. I hope I look like I have as much fun onstage as she obviously does here!! 
I am so excited to open tomorrow! Time to show the world what I've been doing the last two months!

*Sara Ramirez plays Doctor Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy, and is Rose the cashier ("Happy Thanksgiving back") on You've Got Mail. That girl has talent and range coming out her ears!! And, yes, she is singing with Tim Curry.

2 comments:

SweetKeight said...

No need to panic, lovely. And no need to apologize - I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say, it's fun to be on this journey with you!

Love you so so so much - knock 'em dead on Saturday!

xoxoxoxoxo

Amber said...

The show was really great, Megan. Such a charming and animated cast! I loved both of the male leads so much; and you were adorable. I don't know a ton about the script or what Gwendolyn is supposed to be like, but the choices that you made for your character really seemed to fit. You were funny, cute, and exciting to watch.

I think that "getting the word out" is a challenge for any theater. Don't kill yourself over it. Tell the people that you can and let the media do their part. Enjoy each show, regardless of who comes. I loved it and I'm so proud of my friend the actress. Loves.