Monday, March 19

Post St. Paddy's Day thoughts

  • On St. Patrick's Day several years ago, a colleague sent me an e-mail at work that said, "With a name like 'Megan Smyth', you must be Irish, so Happy St. Patrick's Day!" I laughed, because my last name is actually Welsh (hence the funky pronunciation and lack of ending 'e' that is common in the English version). My first name, however, IS the Irish (Gaelic?) version of "Margaret". Last year, my dad pulled out a family tree and said I do actually have Irish relatives on his side... my grandma confirmed last week there are none on my mom's side. So... I guess I can claim Ireland after all... at least, a little bit ;)
You can tell what my shirt looks like
under the corset, right? Or are you staring
 at my costar's massive arm?
  • Last week, I wore a LOT of green and purple, mostly in horizontally striped patterns. Apparently I like stripes in green and/or purple. I was pretty happy that it was warm enough on Saturday (the actual holiday) to wear one of my favorite shirts!*
  • Corned beef part I: My mom made corned beef and cabbage for dinner yesterday, which my nephew described as "bacony beef." He didn't even put barbecue sauce on it, which is a pretty big indicator of how much he truly liked it. That kid is kind of addicted to barbecue sauce :P
  • Corned beef part II: I had leftover corned beef and cabbage today for lunch. It's one of my favorites. I literally closed my eyes while I was eating because I just wanted to enjoy the explosion of wonderful, corned-beefy flavor (for those of you who hate the dish, sorry if I'm making you gag). I like the stuff so much that I sometimes request it for my birthday dinner. My birthday is in September. When I do request it for my birthday, my mom inevitably says, "I don't think you can get it this time of year"... and then she always does. Either Mom's a miracle worker (which I am inclined to believe anyway), or the dish is more common than we'd expect. I must not be the only one who likes it!
This mom-to-be probably still
weighs less than I do now :P
  • I'm a little surprised that more people didn't get pinched at rehearsal on Saturday; our stage manager is a big fan of St. Patrick's Day, as evidenced by her glittery green hat. Thank goodness for green gaffer's tape!
  • Surprisingly, very few women wore green at the baby shower I went to.  Then again, I didn't even think of it until afterward... it wouldn't have been very polite to pinch my pregnant friend anyway, and her friends and mom already thought I was a bit of a weirdo...
  • Realized today that I forgot to listen to my Irish folk song collection on Saturday. Sad. I might listen to them today -- some of them are pretty cool, and a few are mind-blowingly dance-worthy (Three Young Ladies Drinking Whiskey for Breakfast anyone?)

(I'm a sucker for a good fiddle tune!)
  • Hope you enjoyed the Luck o' the Irish on Saturday! I know I did, because I didn't get pulled over on the way to rehearsal, in spite of going 80 miles an hour most of the way. I DID get caught by one of my castmates, though, and he was only too eager to tease me about it every chance he got (in spite of the fact that he matched my speed as he followed me most of the way). Whoops!
The guy on the left reminds me of you, Aaron!
Happy Monday!

*A few photos were added at 11:30 this evening.

3 comments:

Most Happy Girl said...

I love corned beef and cabbage, too. One of my nephews also asks for this from my mom (his grandmother) for his birthday dinner every year in September. What is it with you September babies and corned beef? My mom hasn't had to make it in September for the last 1.5 years because he's in Massachusetts on a mission, and he won't be home until October, when I'm sure my mom will willingly make a late birthday dinner of corned beef for him. (He thinks the soup is okay, but doesn't want to waste the room better served by being filled with the meat.)

Aaron said...

Mmm, I can imagine mom's corned-beef now, and it's making my mouth water. Why does that guy remind you of me? Is he a theater-noob that's kind of an athletic baritone?

Miss Megan said...

Nancy -- Your nephew has good taste! And I'm flattered that you're following my blog, now. I love it when you post on yours!

Aaron -- Justin's been in the theater game for awhile, and you two have very similar personalities: nicest guy around/gets along with everyone, always up for anything. Doesn't hurt he treats me like a sister, and shares a lot of your facial expressions. I can't help but think you would play the part the same way he does!