The callback was a lot of fun interspersed with severe disappointment and hideous nerves. All in all, I thought it went well. I arrived about 20 minutes early and found a HUGE mass of people crammed into the backstage/rehearsal hall. I felt grateful that the pro team had the foresight to get the octet vocal callback done the Saturday before! As it was, I know suspect they were still reading people at midnight.
But I wasn't there quite that long. I had a chance to dance pretty early on. It was a pretty crazy dance. I stood in the back and felt like a dope... until it finally sunk in that I and everyone else was supposed to be silly and just have fun. So I did! I tried to relax and not worry too much about my dignity. We had a chunk of music where we got to do whatever we wanted. I hoped we would get that! All I wanted to do was the "dying swan" and I did! And I think I got a laugh (it's possible the others were laughing at something else).
When we finished dancing I sat and chatted with my besty and some other fun people. Then they called all of the adults into the music rehearsal hall. We filled the entire room. I watched the candidates read for solicitors and the Old Joe scene. It took awhile and yet didn't feel like it was very long. I thought about the talent in the room, and about how I have a week's worth of conflicts which is a little excessive when the run is only 3 weeks long. I decided that since my chances weren't as great as they should be I should cast off my fears and play as much as I could.
About 9pm the pro team left the room to talk about us, and I hadn't done anything since about 7:45. I happened to be sitting on the front row (very unlike me) when Anne came in and requested three volunteers -- a bass, an alto, and a soprano. Well, I ran to the front of the room and picked the alto part! We ended up taking another guy into the dance rehearsal hall and taught him the tenor part along with the quirks Anne wanted. It was awesome! This way, even if I wasn't cast I still got to sing the song one more time! I regret choosing to sing alto. I didn't love it. Next time I am going to rock the soprano.
Not long after that I was told I could go home. I didn't get to read for any parts, but I don't mind. I left feeling very satisfied with my efforts and realistic about my excellent chances (except maybe for the conflicts, but I am not about to skip my family vacation, even for the Hale).
After the callback, I "rewarded" myself with a meal from Carl's Junior. I used to love their food but Wednesday's burger, fries, and shake were very disappointing. Sad. I'm all junk fooded out. Get me a salad STAT!
They made most of the casting calls yesterday and they didn't call me. So, it seems it didn't work out this time. BUT a lot of my talented friends were cast and I could not be more thrilled! I am even considering actually paying for a ticket to see the show. I am just so proud of them! They deserve their success!
I have come out of the experience feeling grateful and happy. I needed a good audition at the Hale. I feel really good about my talent and hopeful about auditioning there in the future. I really do want to work with Anne sometime!
Meanwhile, I have another audition tomorrow morning. And if that doesn't work out there are several other shows coming up that I want to take a shot at. Although, I will miss the lovely down time I've been enjoying!
And, just because it makes me happy everytime I watch it because I adore every person in it so much, here's a rough rehearsal video from the time I actually did Carol at Hale. Good memories!
No comments:
Post a Comment