I auditioned for A Christmas Carol at Hale Center Theater on Saturday. I've been pretty traumatized in past years by the audition process for this particular show and production team, but I decided this year to audition for me instead of worrying about the outcome. I worked a lot on my mindset so I could just enjoy singing a song that I love to sing and reading a line in a British accent because I love affecting an accent. I rehearsed really hard the three days beforehand, and in spite of the fact that I changed my mind Friday night and decided to sing "Far Far Away on Judea's Plains" rather than "The First Noel", I felt good and ready. (Check out this version - gorgeous!)
Of course, I was nervous for the audition. I warmed up and practiced a bit too much the morning of and worried that my voice would sound hoarse. Luckily, I was first in my group so I got to do my thing and then sit and watch the rest of those ridiculously talented people. I feel that I sang as well as I could considering my nerves and the unfamiliar accoustics in the room; it was adequate but perhaps not impressive. I am proud of the line reading though! I read one of Mrs. Cratchit's lines, and I know I nailed the accent and diction. I sat down feeling rather pleased. When we were done the Pro team told us to wait outside to find out whether we were called back. So, I chatted with a Kiss Me Kate acquaintance who had been in my group while another group went in. It seemed to take ages, but finally the production team called out the names of the lucky people called back.
My name was the first one she called out!
I was surprised and happy and grateful -- the outside observer might call it blase (blah-zay) because I didn't express a huge thrill of excitement and relief. This was my 7th audition for this show in the last 8 years, and only my 3rd callback. I did the show once, and the next year I didn't even get a callback, so when I say I was surprised on Saturday, I mean it. Getting called back at Hale is no small feat! At the same time, I can honestly say my world would not have ended if my name had not been called. I could NOT have said that last year (which is why I skipped the audition last year).
Anyway, they called me back for 4pm that same day, which as far as I know they have not done before. Sooo, I ran home for some dinner and to finish watching A Tale of Two Cities which turned out to be a big mistake because I wanted to cry at the ending (in a good way; I'm excited to read the book!) I returned at 4 and joined about 50 or 60 other people in the music rehearsal hall. Right away I found several people I know -- it's so awesome how small and supportive the theatre community is!
The production team members introduced themselves, and then turned the time over to the brilliant Anne Puzey to teach us "Deck the Hall" -- the hardest song in the show. Luckily, since I've done the show before I felt pretty solid after just a few runthroughs. I was sitting in the midst of a bunch of boys while we learned and I held my own and was even able to help another girl who wanted to try the alto part (I love being able to hear all the harmonies!) I even remembered most of the dynamics and specifics Anne taught us.
Once we were somewhat/pretty confident, Anne started calling us up in quartets to see how well we can hold our own and blend with others. She kindly gave each group at least 2 chances to sing together; the first time with her playing the piano and the second A capella. After the first runthrough she gave us all some directions, like when I sang alto she told me to sing lighter and the soprano to sing louder. I tried both the soprano and alto parts, but I was afraid of singing too loudly as a soprano so I ended up being really soft. Don't think I was impressive as a soprano. However, Anne had me sing the alto part in two groups and for the most part I felt successful!
As you can imagine, listening to 50 or 60 people sing multiple times can take awhile, but we were only there about two hours, at the end of which the director told us all to return on Wednesday to dance. I have no idea if we'll be singing again or if they'll ask me to read for a part. Honestly, everyone at that callback was so fantastic I have no idea who they liked enough to cast. They could cast almost any person there and have a gorgeous show. I'm just following along to see what happens!
I left feeling good about myself and hoping that I get to work with Anne sometime in the future; I honestly feel like a better singer after that experience. It was one of the more fun callbacks (pre-callback?) I've been to in ages. It probably helps that I have no expectations. I want to do well, but even if I do there is no guarantee I'll be cast. I'll just go have fun tomorrow, be grateful for the experience and the opportunity, and hope for the best.
I'll keep you posted!
(This post was typed exclusively one-handed. Try it; it's harder than you'd think and takes FOR-E-HEH-HEH-VER! I am officially giving my injured primary wrist a break. I am so totally ready for it to be well again!)
No comments:
Post a Comment