Wednesday, September 1

Dress code observations

The way people dress at work kind of makes me chuckle everyday. Since I started in April, I've noticed that most people -- especially the men -- wear a lot of shorts. Shorts and either flip-flops or sneakers. Often they are cargo shorts. Or pretty short shorts (above the knee). They also wear a lot of t-shirts. T-shirts that have, oh, the Punisher logo or something else you might buy at Hot Topic or the like. I tried wearing shorts once, but even though I paired them with heels and a cute sweater it just didn't feel right. I don't even like wearing capris to work, though many of the women do. So, I usually wear some variant of jeans or a skirt with a plain t-shirt. Still, seeing the men in their cargo shorts and video game or t.v. show t-shirts makes me chuckle (especially when they guy who claims he doesn't watch t.v. wears a DHARMA Initiative t-shirt. Does he know that's from LOST?).

I've been wondering what they'll start wearing when the weather gets cooler. I assume pretty much the same except they'll replace the shorts with jeans or something.

This week has been interesting, though. Last week one of my project manangers sent an e-mail warning us that a lot of the bigwigs from all of the different branches will be here this week. So, we've all stepped it up. I decided not to wear jeans. Instead I'm wearing cute skirts and pants from Banana Republic that I bought 6 months ago and hadn't worn yet. Can't bring myself to wear any heels except my cork sandals. I don't like my feet to hurt at the end of the day. Flats are fine. And the boys are wearing either non-holy jeans or khakis paired with polo shirts and any shoes other than sneakers or flip-flops. It's weird going into meetings and not seeing any sort of design other than strips on a shirt. I didn't even know one of the men even HAD a shirt without a design on it!

Hmmm. Do I need to wrap this post up with a point? One other than "Isn't it funny how we all dress differently when the bigwigs come into town?" I tend to dress up a little more at least once or twice a week anyway.

No, I think what I really want to say is I think it's nice we have the freedom to be ourselves at work. We may dress casually, but not offensively or really weird. Some shorts are short, but not too short (same with skirts), and fortunately the guy who rides his bike to work brings clothes to change into so he's not wearing his biker shorts all day. Since we don't have clients come into our branch very often, we don't have to impress anyone with our clothing. We just let the work speak for itself. We can dress up when needed, but it isn't necessary on a day-to-day basis. It makes for a non-threatening, comfortable atmosphere, and I am grateful.

Meanwhile, I've started going through my closet and throwing out clothes that I don't wear anymore, or shouldn't wear because they're sadly too small. It's hard because some of them are really cute and I'm not excited about shopping to replace them but I need to do it anyway. Good-bye pretty flowered dresses. Good-bye uncomfortable heels that I almost never wear because you're uncomfortable. Good-bye still-cute sweaters I only wear once or twice during the winter. I should really get rid of my jean jacket since I almost hate the thing and avoid it whenever possible. Hard to give away things that I've had forever, but if I'm not wearing it I should let someone else wear it, right? Right. I hope someone does!

No comments: