Friday, October 22

Doing a Christmas Play!

Four weeks ago when a seeming large percentage of my theatre friends reported that they were cast in A Christmas Carol at either Rodgers Memorial or Hale Centre Theatre, I felt like I was the only person left in the world who wasn't in a Christmas play. I was actually more sad about that than the fact that I wasn't cast in a show. There's just something lovely about singing Christmas carols (yes, I like listening to them starting November 1st, though some complain that's too early). Christmas/holiday songs are full of optimism and kindness and joy and cheesiness and contentment; they just make me feel happy. Getting to start singing them in September because I'm in a Christmas show is AWESOME! But when I'm not in a show, and it isn't snowing yet, and I can't get excited about Halloween for some unknown reason, and my birthday is another ten-and-a-half months away, I feel a little sad.

Hmmm... that paragraph took a different direction than I thought it would.

Anyway, I had wanted to audition for West Jordan Arts/Sugar Factory Playhouse's production of The 1940's Radio Hour. It was a busy and stressful day, but I grabbed some sheet music the day before and practiced a bunch. I was hoping there wouldn't be a huge line because I had some other things I wanted to do that night. And then, on my way, I checked my music and realized I didn't have the pages I needed (I have not been able to find them, either. Grr!) So, I had a mini-tantrum in my head, drove home, and decided it was a sign not to audition. I struggled a bit with that choice, especially when I discovered a bunch of my friends were cast and I thought about the terrific songs in the script, but I made peace with it because there were several other shows I wanted to audition for.

However, I was starting to feel restless. If I didn't do a play, I needed to do something. I've been busy and I've had a lot of fun, but I have a difficult time with weeks where I don't have plans. Last week when I was sick I didn't see anybody all week and I didn't like it! I like the structure of a rehearsal schedule and having something to count on.

Wednesday, a friend from Seven Brides who is now in the Radio Hour sent me an e-mail. He said that one of the lead females had quit and that he thought I'd be great in the role. He suggested that if I was interested I should call the director, Rosalie. I was and I did! I felt a little foolish leaving the message, but she called me back yesterday and asked if I could come and audition with another girl before rehearsal.

So, I frantically pulled out a couple of different sheet music options. Rosalie had mentioned the pianist might not be there that night, so I had an "if there's a pianist" option and a "gonna sing this a capella" option. I was actually glad when there wasn't a pianist and I got to sing "Young and Healthy" from 42nd Street (I need to find some sheet music for it). I felt really good about my performance. The other girl was good, and I love the song "Gimme Gimme" from Thoroughly Modern Millie, but when she started at the beginning of the song I thought, "Oh, no! The ending would have been a much stronger choice and would have shown off your voice so much better!"

I was really excited when I discovered that the part they needed filled was Ann Collier. She sings "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" which is one of my favorite songs! As Rosalie described the character and had us read a few things, I realized how like me the character is. And my hopes grew a little stronger.

After the audition I ran over to some friends to say "Hi," and that was when the director offered me the part and asked me to stay for the rest of the rehearsal! Hooray! So I said, "yes" and met everyone and now we have about the first third of the show blocked.

So, I'm in a play! A Christmas play! And I get to sing a couple of terrific songs and work with terrific people and be a little busy again. I am thrilled! My first rehearsal is done and we'll perform during selected dates in December. It's going to be fun!

2 comments:

Taylor Thompson said...

November 1st is definitely NOT too early to listen to Christmas carols! :) I love the Christmas season, and don't understand why people get their panties all in a wad when some people want to make it last a little longer.

Have fun with your play!

Taylor J Smith said...

AH I love christmas shows and I love your face. I hope you are having a wonderful year so far and i get to see you perform this show oh happy day.