I've been trying to read Jane Eyre since July. I like it a lot. I like that it's told from Jane's point of view and that she is so aware that she probably isn't acting like "other" people do. I love that Mr. Rochester has finally shown up and that he's also kind of an odd duck... and a total sweetheart.
But I've been working on this book since July. That's weird for me. I used to read all the time, but somehow I'm out of practice. Even though I love this book... it's just not part of my routine anymore. I don't read at traffic lights anymore. I don't generally take a break for lunch unless I have plans with someone. When I finally get to bed I'm so exhausted I just want to sleep. Instead, I'm up late getting my stories from TV or theatre or talking with a friend.
I've been listening to Stuff you missed in history class while driving to work and even during work if whatever I'm doing doesn't require a lot of thought (hooray for busywork!). It's fascinating. I'm learning a lot about historical people and events I've always been curious about. I'm even considering sending Sarah and Katie a postcard and asking them to do a podcast on something; I don't know what, yet. It's sad to me that all of that fascinating learning contributed to the near-obliteration of my reading habits. I have a hard time going back and forth from the podcast to the printed page.
I recently borrowed A Tale of Two Cities from Rach and received a couple more books for my birthday that I am really excited to read, but I want to finish Jane Eyre first because, like I said, I am enjoying the book. It's not a matter of it being too dense or long or anything, because it isn't. Whenever I sit to read it goes by really fast. It's just a matter of actually doing it.
Lately I've become more aware of some of my habits; habits I don't like and habits I used to be good at but have somehow lost over time. I'm trying to be better about the foods I eat and actually making the time to excercise, and now I'm adding making time for reading to my unofficial "Habits that are necessary to cultivate RIGHT NOW." Not going to set aside an amount of time, but I think I will set aside a period of time dedicated to reading the scriptures and other things I want to read.
Then I have to stick to it. That's the hard part. And the easy part. Just gotta do it and remind myself to keep doing it every day.
Oh books. I've been neglecting you and I'm sorry. I'll do better. Starting right now.
Turning off my computer and TV, getting ready for bed, and spending some time with Miss Eyre and Mr. Rochester.
Good night!
No comments:
Post a Comment