Thursday, October 18

Voicing a difference of opinion

My manager invited me to be part of a group at work to redesign the templates (including layouts, fonts,  and types of character and paragraph tags) for our company's documentation. I started out feeling very uncomfortable, because I didn't really know what was expected of me... and, I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I was afraid to have an opinion. What if it was wrong and I ended up looking like an idiot? I was really quiet for the first couple of meetings.

As we continued to meet together and discuss our team's needs, I started to feel more comfortable, and opened up a bit more. I also felt less nervous anytime someone asked what I thought. I stopped being so afraid to disagree with other opinions expressed. I started to believe that my opinion mattered in what was, in the end, a purely subjective endeavor. This really hit home one day when three people all supported one concept, and then the manager asked my opinion and I disagreed with the others. I shared what I thought would work best and why even though I was terrified. After I finished, the rest of the group supported me, and we decided to go with my ideas. I cannot tell you how relieved and validated I felt!

It's in my nature to go with the flow and not create waves whenever possible. I am grateful for this opportunity where I was encouraged to participate, think outside the box, and stand up for myself. Thanks goodness for subjective projects where no answer is the wrong answer! I can't say that shareing my opinion has become any easier, but I am slightly less afraid to be ridiculed for a differing opinion!

3 comments:

one crazy girl said...

Yay! Unfortunately for me, I had a completely different experience. We started creating software demos and simulations using a new software (at least new to our department). I jumped right in and started making suggestions and creating examples of what I thought could become best practices for this format. All of my ideas were struck down without anyone even looking at my examples. And now, seven years later, most of the ideas I originally proposed have become our standards, but only after they were suggested by other people. I'm so glad you were validated, because I have to admit that this experience has unfortunately tainted my attitude. I no longer offer my opinion.

Aaron said...

Way to speak up! Your opinion matters!

Miss Megan said...

I am so sorry, that was your experience, Nancy. I had a teacher in high school who, on the first day of class, told me my comment was wrong; I never said anything else in that class. I hate it when people just shoot others down with no consideration for their feelings or knowledge.

This isn't my area of expertise and I was so nervous. In this case, not all of my ideas were adopted, but I never felt belittled and I am so grateful.