I really, really super hope that my future boyfriend/fiance/husband knows better than to propose to me in this way*:
I always felt like getting engaged in a public place like this feels like it's more about the crowd than about the two people pledging to share their lives together. I don't want to feel like I HAVE to say yes to save his dignity. I want to say yes because I love him and want to share my life with him. It seems too personal a thing to have so many people watching.
Does this surprise you about me? It's true that I spend a lot of time onstage, but that's me acting, not me being me. I don't otherwise like being the center of attention. I especially don't like being "shown off" by my dates, because it invariably involves the guy acting in a way that he knows makes me feel uncomfortable but he thinks is funny and makes him feel all manly and important. I don't want to get engaged while a bunch of strangers who don't care about us galk at us (this includes the current Flashmob proposal trend). Plus, I expect there will be a lot of making out involved when I get engaged, and I HATE PDAs**!
When it happens, I hope he proposes in a way that is meaningful to us both. I'm a pretty simple girl. (I will admit to being afraid of unexpected rings in my food -- a girl could break her teeth!!)
Tell me, how did your significant other propose to you? Did he propose in a public place, and if so did you like it? For those still waiting, do you have any preferences?
*I will not mind if my future husband is a sports fan.
**Public Displays of Affection
1 comment:
Jason did propose in a public place. It was outside the Provo Public Library, but it didn't feel like anyone was gawking at us. We had gone out to eat at a Chinese restaraunt, and then had gone for a short walk afterward, taking a break from finals...It was kinda funny he knelt down, and I thought he had stopped to tie his shoe, so I wasn't paying attention at first. Then he started proposing, before I paid attention to what he was doing. Typical me!
I feel similarly to you about those type of proposals. Way too much pressure on the girls.
Post a Comment