This weekend was over too fast! I look forward to General Conference weekend, and revel in the excuse to stay home for two days and learn from smarter and more faithful people than I. I spent Saturday morning cleaning my condo, and the afternoon just listening. Then I saw the movie Ghost Town. It was really good! I laughed so hard, felt invested in the characters, and the last line made me feel all gushy and like I want to be in love. Two enthusiastic thumbs up, in spite of the two instances of the "F" word which I had been warned about previously. (How I loathe that word. It's never necessary and always ugly and shocking. My mother is convinced that it was put in just to keep the movie from getting a PG rating. I bet she's right, and I'm annoyed that's the way Hollywood works.)
Sunday morning my family continued our tradition of a morning brunch that spills into the afternoon. Mom went all out, preparing shrimp, salmon, chicken wings, chocolate-covered strawberries, mini-cheesecakes, sticky buns, orange rolls, cheese and crackers, grapes, cantaloupe, and several kinds of juice. I made deviled eggs -- also part of the tradition. It is just lovely having my parents, Adam, Lindsey, the G-unit, Peter and Dave all there to feel the Spirit and be together. I couldn't help peeking at everyone once in awhile to see the expressions on their faces and spy on whoever was asleep (which, according to Elder Oaks, is okay because at least they are reverent). G has a hard time sitting still at Grammy's house where there is so much to do, but he was mostly reverent. I enjoyed letting him color in my Cinderella coloring book (bought a couple of years ago especially for Conference Sundays), and giggled when I noticed he only wanted to color "the princess" and not the mice or anyone else.
Adam, Lindsey, and I made a special trip to my condo between sessions because they hadn't seen it yet. I admit, I felt quite a bit of pride over their oohs and ahhs! I love my little home, and I'm excited that the people I love think it's a good place, too. Sunday afternoon we continued to snack on brunch stuff and more than one of us, including me, feel asleep at one point. I want to check On Demand and watch Elder Wirthlin, Elder Bednar, President Eyring, and President Monson again, since they were the ones I missed. I very much enjoyed Elder Oaks's talk about being reverent during the Sacrament, Elder Holland's talk about the angels Heavenly Father sends to help, and Elder Nelson's talk about not settling for anything less than a loving and committed temple marriage.
The rest of Sunday was spent with the family. It was peaceful and relaxing, and it just felt good to be with everyone. I am so blessed to have the family I do, and that we get along and like to be together! I am thankful for parents who do their best to teach by example, and who are active in church and who want wonderful lives for all of their children. I am surrounded by supportive, kind, creative, fun, thoughtful people and I know that I am who I am because of them. It was a great weekend with them, and I was sorry for it to end.
4 comments:
Megan this was absolutely beautiful to read. What a lovely weekend you had, and I'm so in awe of your patience and observations to the people and things around you. Thanks for sharing a bit of your testimony in this, and also your humility. I sure love you, girl! Thanks for sharing...
Conference weekend is the best! It seems to get better every time. Or maybe it's just that I'm paying more attention as I get older.
Not to be too off the topic, but is that picture (at the top of your blog) of 7 Brides for 7 Brothers? In middle school some friends and I wanted to dress up as that for Halloween so we worked really hard on it, then realized, no one would get it. :)
Good eye, Candice, that's exactly who we are. My date and I were Dorcas and Frank. It's the only year I went to Monster Mash (the Halloween dance at Cottonwood High), and we had a blast!
Post a Comment