Sunday, October 26

G-unit's Primary Program

Today I attended my nephew's ward so I could support him in the annual Primary program in Sacrament meeting. He rehearsed his line for us last Sunday, so I was pretty excited! It was also fun to be there with my parents, my brother Peter, and his lady friend Jordan.

I wasn't disappointed. My goodness, our little boy is something special! He started off strong, with a very serious expression on his face. He used every muscle in his jaw and mouth to enunciate all the words. He really wanted to do a good job. I could tell the point when the music director reminded the kids to smile when singing. I cannot describe how funny it was to see the G-unit try to smile while he was already using his whole mouth to sing... all while keeping that intense look of concentration. The littlest kids said their speaking parts first, and G was one out of maybe 3 kids between 3 and 5 who didn't need anyone to remind them of their line. He even said it somewhat clearly!

About halfway through the second song, he started to get annoyed that he couldn't remember all the words. During the first song, he tried to cover it up by attempting to match the movements of the conductor's mouth, but he told us later that his stomach started to hurt, too, which was distracting. By the fourth song, he looked pretty unhappy. His lower lip stuck out and he glared at the conductor. Then he noticed his family sitting in the third row. Of course, we were all trying vainly not to laugh at his misery -- he was so cute! -- and when he saw me I stuck out my lip too. That's when he realized he could put on a show, so for a little while he pouted just to get a reaction...which we gave him, of course.

By the last song, his tummyache became too much for him, and he started to cry. Bless his teacher who pulled him into her lap for a hug. Adam and Lindsey leaned over to Peter, and Adam said, "He's just like you!" (Peter hated singing in the Primary program. If my mom could actually get him to participate anyway, it usually ended in tears.) We were awfully proud of G anyway. He wanted so much to do well and had worked so hard. If it weren't for that hurting stomache I'm sure he would have had more fun, poor kid.

Since I was there, I ended up finishing the block at Adam and Lindsey's ward. One thing I love about the church: every ward said it's the best one, and there are kind and accepting people everywhere. It was more than a little disconcerting to realize I was probably the only unmarried woman in Relief Society, but what can you do? The lesson was on maintaining a happy marriage, so I made a few comments based on my observations and stored the rest of what I learned for the future. The teacher did a terrific job. I am glad I stayed.

I will, however, have to decide on a ward soon. It's kind of depressing being so transient. I need a calling and ward friends so I can start feeling comfortable again!

Glad I took the opportunity to see my nephew perform, and spend some time with Adam and Lindsey. I love their little family. I hope to have on just like theirs someday!

No comments: